Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Dull plastic

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dull plastic

I got my Z250 about 3 weeks ago, and the plastic is already getting dull. It doesn't have any scratches in it, just dull. What is a good product to bring back and keep that showroom shine?

Old 05-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dull plastic

3M makes both plastic polish and plastic cleaner. Should be available at any auto parts store. They should also carry a little buffer pad (about 4" dia.) that fits into an electric drill that works great for using the polish. Should shine it right up.

Old 05-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dull plastic

I'd suggest that you wash your bike down with some kind of mits like from the car wash with some Motul Moto Wash (Really Works!) Squirt some water all over it first, then take some Motul Moto Wash ($10 a bottle) and squirt it on, let sit for 5 mins, then scrub vigorously and your plastics should look new!

Old 05-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dull plastic

What i do to my raptor is wash it completely and then use meguire's car wax, the one that you spray on and then wipe off when its wet, i think its called wax as you dry.($4.00). Then i use armor all wipes($3.00). The armor all is what will make it shine as if it was brand, new every time you use it. I havent tried all the other products poeple say to use but the armor all will do the trick, and it is safe to use on plastics.

Old 05-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dull plastic

I had heard that armor all worked but I wasn't sure. I was using WD-40 and that seemed to make it worse. I used that on the 160, but just about anything can make that look better. Is plastex any good?

Old 05-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dull plastic

First try this trick...mix liquid tide (15-20%) and water and spray entire bike down. Let sit 5 minutes and rinse and repeat . It bought a nice shine back to mine. Tell me what happened after you try it.

Old 05-26-2003, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Dull plastic

I use STP Son-of-a-gun and it really makes the plastic shinny.

Trending Topics

Old 05-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dull plastic

get a product called plastic renew, its about $25. it is a several step process including sanding but will make old plastic look good. i know a dealer who uses it on every trade in. find it at most dealers

Old 05-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dull plastic

I guess now I should be asking what fills in scratches too. I went riding yesterday and flipped it. It has few big scratches and lots of minor scratches. Almost half of the headlight is covered in scratches. So what is a good product for both the yellow plastic and my headlight and also to give it a shine?

Old 05-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dull plastic

My buddy used plastic renew on his 400ex and ruined the plastic. I'm sure that he didn't know what he was doing, but I'd stay away from anything that involves sanding down my quad plastic personally.

Now, I have black plastic on my TLD Predator. You just look the wrong way at the plastic and it scratches, so what I do is wash it down after every ride with car soap and a good brush, then let it dry. Then I use Pledge on all the outside plastics. It gives a great shine, but doesn't attract dust nearly as much as Armor All. Spray some WD40 on the internal access points to the frame rails and coat the muffler in WD40, then dry it off, and spray some PAM on the insides of the fenders to help keep dirt from clinging. This should help you keep your bike very clean. Also, if you do this every time, it keeps dirt from accumulating and makes it that much easier to keep it clean. Total time spent...15-20 minutes, but I love doing this! It's my baby!

Quick Reply: Dull plastic