Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt with little top end

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt with little top end

I think I'm having a little bit of a problem with my lt. My uncle owned the bike before I did. He had done a ton of things to it, and it flew. Well he had gotten arrested and was taken to prison. So the bike has sat in the garage for three years and I had just gotten it out and had done a little mantence work on it. But it doesnt seem to have as much top end as it did before. It is still pretty fast, but no way near as fast as before. And I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. There is a 280 main jet in it and a FMF Pipe and stock silencer (I'm planning on getting a new silencer for it, what would be the best one to get?) the head is ported and polished. Not to sure what else, he is in jail so I cant ask him. Please help

Old 06-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

IT might need a new rebuild,get the powercore FMF silencer.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

If it has been sitting that long, I would clean the carb out first thing.

Old 06-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cleaned the carb out, and put a Uni airfilter in it. It seemed to help a little bit, but it still doesnt seem to be the same.

Old 06-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

Did you replace the plug, and tranny oil?

Definitely rebuild the carb, check the reeds for cracks, flush out the gas tank, amd check for an in-line fuel filter or the screens in the gas tank could be clogged. The 280 main seems way too small but may be right for your elevation. I would replace the silencer as was suggested and THEN rejet the carb. If this fails then maybe something is rusted/corroded in your electrical system and your ignition output is weak. A reputable shop can test this for you for relatively little $.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Have you put new gas in it? Also check the powervalve. Looking in the window on the right side, you should see the valve arm move up & down as you blip the throttle with the motor running. If it sat that long, it may be stuck in the down position, costing you your top end.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I drained the old gas out of it, and put new gas in, changed the gear oil, put a new spark plug in it, and the carb was rebuilt right before it got put up, my elevation is 1020 feet above sea level. Is a 280 to small? I am going to get new reeds, which would be the best to get? Alright thanks for all the help so far guys.

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2003, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

My elevation here in Henderson, NV is 1881 feet and yours is also 1020 per www.topozone.com and I'm running a 400 main in my stock 38mm Mikuni. You should be jetted richer (i.e. larger) as lower altitude equals more air, thus more fuel required. I would order several larger mains, maybe 340, 360, 380, 400 or around those numbers and start rich, then lean it down. There are several article on the net with jetting suggestions and you can search these forums for that topic. Mains are only about $5 each for aftermarket jets.

If you want the best reed setup, I've heard V-Force Delta 2 reed cages, $135, are really good. I just replaced my stock reeds with Boyesen Super Stock fiber reeds, $30, and it runs well.

Old 06-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Range Rover

Have u checked the exaust pipe. It might be blocked, or the fiberglass in the silencer might have caved in decreasing the air flow.

Old 06-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Koller my LRD silencer was gutted out when I got my quad a few years back. Will that make a bad effect as in ruin the engine?