Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 vs YFZ450... heres the deal...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 vs YFZ450... heres the deal...

Look, you guys, I admit, the Z would take a lot more to build it up to YFZ specs. What I was saying was that for the price difference, it should be better than the Z. I was never bashing the YFZ. I wouldnt mind owning one at all, but theres no way in hell my dad would spend more than what he paid for the Z in the first place. My dad doesnt blow money on anything I want (Diable, crackhead, yfzinsanity), IM not rich, or a spoiled brat, like some of you guys tried to make me out to be. My dad never would have put up with a 7k quad, he has the money, but the reason he has money is cause he doesnt blow it on junk he doesnt need.

Great post craZ400: for what you can aford, you couldnt ask for more. And I agree, if these Suzuki haters dont care for what we Suzuki riders have to say and are only gonna bash what we have, they should stay out of the Suzuki forum or keep their mouths shut. I like bombs too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 08-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Ok lets say stock for stock.. im on a budget and i wanted a bike that offered good performance for under $6000 .. then yes i would take the Z it has lots of power,great handling , sweet styling,reverse ( which i never once used ) and a comfortable ride = great Quad for the buck ( yes its probably one of the best i will admit )

Then for someone who wants to spend more money and get just alittle bit more performance than what the kfx/z-400 has to offer the yfz will offer those people more for thier money ( And Just because it was aimed at racing doesnt mean that has to be its only purpose )

If i even 3/4 of the time i spent on a Quad was primarily aimed at trail riding i would never complain about it at all becuase i think the z is very great for the trails

but the main reason i switched to the yfz was that i didnt mind spending the extra $1200 dollars i wanted a little bit more performance , lighter weight ( and as soon as get my hands on the kickstarter im ditching the pushbutton and battery ) , better handling , something that would suit my needs on various terrain - such as Trails,mx track , dunes and open country

i never said that the z was not a good bike .. because it really is. my point was that the yfz offers alot more for my riding style and i dont have to really change anything its right where i want it at this point .. i can do any type of riding and still feel comfortable with it.

Peace

Old 08-23-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I agree insanity. What I was saying, that for me, the YFZ wouldnt make sense. We have a track at our house, Im sure the YFZ would be more fun on it, but for the trails I ride, the trees are very close, reverse is a lifesaver at my house, Im moving backwards more than forwards[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Our other trails are rocky, rough, and very tight. For the tightness, the YFZ would handle that better, but it may be too wide for the trails. I know not everyone lives in the save enviornment as me, but Im sure some people know exactly where Im comming from. I live on a mountain....

Old 08-24-2003, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer

well da mn this is the logest thread ive seen in a while.. im offline for about 12 hours and i get a email sayin thers like 20 new post DA MN
well went to the mx track today with my friend that has the yfz Text.... he let me take a few laps on it and da mn its a pretty race ready quad for being stock.. handles great but could use a set of better tires for mx along with wider a arms, and a axle but not really needed i just like my rides wide!!!!. jumps good, handles good, cornres good!! hope the new honda is as good as this. and like i said on my last post the yfz is as good as a z in the woods jsut the suspension is a lil rougher. it wasnt no thing fittin in throught the tight spots on it

and for srk399 still dont like u but hey its cool i guess dont wanna start no other sh it if everyone else has gaven up on it. and you can believe what ppl tell you on the forums... ive asked ppl on here about the best ways to build my lt for mx and have gotten alot of help.. a guy told me about a place in mosouri that builds some strong *** lt motors there called ftz racing very good company... i called em up and there redoing the complete motor plus there own pipes and a carb for about 2 g's... not bad well i guess thats it

im outskee

Old 08-24-2003, 03:28 AM
Trailblazer

the link in there that ses text is for dtrackmotocross.com..my local track i pracitce and race on very awesome track, very nice site, good atv pics suggest everyone should take a look at

Old 08-24-2003, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider

and for srk399 still dont like u
yeah, well thats alright, cause I dont like you either....

I know the YFZ is already one sick *** mx machine, I hear nothin but praise for it (besides the bending a arms). I was never bashing the YFZ. The trails I ride are so d@mn rough in spots, I could imagive a YFZ on them (NOT bashing!)...

Old 08-24-2003, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider

Well im 6'1" and about 195lbs and i take some pretty good 30-40' doubles and a 90ft table top that i will never be able to clear ( who knows why they made it so big ? ) i am surprised that i have not busted one of the A-arms yet but the way they are welded does kinda make me nurvous .. i'll post it when i break one or have to work on one that is busted - i'm the one that usually gets stuck working on the broke quads or anything that comes in under warranty our regular mechanic only shows up for appointments if even that so usually me and 2 of the other salesman i work with get stuck with it ( Extra money who's complaining ).. but since we have been selling the yfz's i have yet to see anything broke besides brake/clutch levers and handle bars and one kid managed to bust the stud on his rear hub by over tightening it and another landed his rear axle on a big rock and busted his chain and bent the sprocket up pretty bad ..

Old 08-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have my friends yfz sittin in my garage with it's 2nd bent a-arm. The first one was when he lost it in a fifth gear wheelie and cart wheeled it, breaking the upper right a-arm, bending the lower a-arm and tie rod. And he broke the f***ing shock. The 2nd one was from clipping a tree stump hidden in some grass. Bent the lower a-arm and broke the tie rod end. I personally don't think the front end was built strong enough for everyday riding. So the welds don't crack, big deal if everything else around it bends or breaks. It's only $50 or so to have a frame welded up, but those upper a-arms are like $400 bucks a piece, and the lowers are $175. And the shock was $400 as well. I hope no one else ever has to go through the problems he's had with his yfz. He now has $8000 in a yfz that is unridable once again until parts arrive. I now have $5800 in my z and it's still rideable. Yup, my z is faster than his broke ****, handles better than his broke ****, and is a better value than his broke POS. But I still wouldn't mind having his yfz, just because of how sick it is when it's not broke. By the way, where is the best place to get aftermarket stuff for the yfz? Need lots of it.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I cart wheeled my Z, bent my tie rod, my tire got knocked around and kinda wobbles (maybe even the rim). Bent a backet that holds the rear fender, and broke the little eyelet that attachs the fender to the bracket. I rolled it another time with no damage, just my plastic got knocked around a little and my conrols were slid on the bars and were facing way downward.

When our track gets re-done, there will be some pretty nice jumps, nothin huge, but fun to mess around on. 60ft table will the largest. The area isnt the biggest, so we cant get too many big jumps in there.

Ridley: You sure its only 1 inch wider? Thats not even enough for racing, it has to be wider than just 1 inch...

Old 08-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

If your asking about stock width difference between the z and yfz it's close to 2 in. And the yfz sits about 1.5in. lower (less ground clearance as well). And is 1.5in. longer.

Quick Reply: Z400 vs YFZ450... heres the deal...