Old 07-21-2003, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vison questions

Ok questions on the vinson i would very much aprecaite any input
What is the vinson's top speed?
Does it have good torque?
Does it do good in the mud?
Will it be a decent work horse but still do good on trails?
If not what might be an alternative?

Old 07-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Range Rover
Default Vison questions

I have 2003 vinson; it's a great machine. Top speed on mine is in the low 60's [63mph]. That makes it just a little slower than the 650's. It has great torq. ; and Good suspension. The automatic which I have is good in mud and snow, with one exception; It does not have a reverse revlimiter over ride switch. So when you get stuck and try to back up the engine cuts out power just when you need it. The other thing is the thumb throttle has a stiff spring making your thumb sore sooner than normal. The other thing I would like to see is a front differential lock. Other than this I have no complaints.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Vison questions

Hey guys, never posed here before but I pop up when I think I can be helpfull.
Putput, I have overriden my reverse limiter by a simple process that barely cost of a couple quaters.

Actually it's very easy. All of the wiring involved is over the left rear wheel, on your CDI module which is mounted directly behind your rear dry storage box.

Cut the blue/red wire to the CDI module. Tape the end to the CDI module. Connect the other blue/red end to the striped end of a diode. Connect the non-striped end of the diode to the white/red wire. be sure of the striped end of the diode or else it wont work.

Any of these diodes will work, you can pick one up at radio shack.
276-1101 1N4001 $0.59 US
276-1102 1N4003 $0.69 US
276-1103 1N4004 $0.79 US
276-1104 1N4005 $0.89 US

Good luck, its very simple and very cheap. This will completly disable the limiter for good so be sure you want to do this before you dive in. your display will work like it did before.
I have done this personally and it works great!! And best of all it only took about a half hour.
If you have any other questions just ask!!

Old 07-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vison questions

I have driven the Vinson and have also seen it action. Personally I think that it is an awesome atv. I'm not going to repeat what puttputt said but he is right on all counts. I have a couple of pics if you want to see how much water it can handle easily.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:41 AM
Range Rover
Default Vison questions

MY digi guage clocked my top speed at 66mph which is awsome for a 4x4. Kevin00, what are the benefits to do that reverse mod, I do alot of muddin will it help?

Old 07-23-2003, 02:47 AM
Range Rover
Default Vison questions

Also, will it ruin the engine by revving to high. Autos are machines for plowing and arecomfortable to ride but Beecam GO WITH A MANNY TRANNY. They are better for muddin, pulling, and again no offense to autos but I smoked a auto Vinson and was neck to neck with a grizz. Did I mention they will run a wheelie now that kicks ***. I havent heard anything bad bout Vinsons but autos tend to have belt slippage due to moisture entering through the crankcase breather.

Old 07-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Vison questions

I will most defiantely get a manual tranny because i just dont like the idea of auto.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vison questions

autos arent as bad as people make them out to be, if water is entering, something is wrong..maybe a gasket or drain plug not installed....autos are great for pulling, in low range an auto is a beast.

Old 07-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Range Rover
Default Vison questions

Kevin00 Thank you very much for the info. on the revlimiter. Could you just put a switch on the blue/red wire and than be able to turn it off and back on? And would that eliminate the need ofThe diode or not? The diode's funchion is to? [ i think allow one way flow of elec.] Again thank you; a lot of Vinson owners will be happy to here this. Putt- Putt

Old 07-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default Vison questions

jackupVinson...
I sould have mentioned this is for the Auto only. I'm sure it wont work with a manual. But i did do it for the purpose of mudding. BTW I still kind of wish I had a manual Vinson.

putput...
heres another way that involves a switch.
There is a blue wire with a red tracer at the CDI box. Unplug this wire and tape the end with electrical tape. And also plug the end of the CDI module to prevent water from entering.

Next, there is a white wire underneith the dash. Splice in a switch. The other side of the switch goes to the ground.
A push and hold button switch will work best, so that your override will be "on demand."

When you push the button, you should get a -- on your gear display, this is because you are grounding it. You can still go in high and low gears with the button depressed.

I've never done this one before so I'm not sure how much help I can be, like what kind of switch to use or whare to mount it, but it still sounds pretty simple.

Just a reminder to anyone who does this mod.
With your limiter disabled you will be able to go as fast in reverse as you will forward. Steering will also be unstable at a high speed, so be carefull!!!

Quick Reply: Vison questions