Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Tires for my King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2000, 09:57 AM
Tym
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, I didn't think another size wider would really make a difference. I just ordered a pair of 25-10x12 589's yesterday....

Old 06-16-2000, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would suggest Titan 489's or 589's in stock size.

James

Old 06-17-2000, 06:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low Gear,
sorry to disagree with you,but you should not have gained three inches of ground clearance by just going up one size in tire height. Obtaining that much more ground clearance[on a KQ] will make the tires scrape constantly.

The KQs suspension and fenders will not allow you to increase the tire size hardly at all,without constantly scraping the tires.

On my bro's 97 KQ,we installed a set of Super Swamper Vampires.We stayed with the exact same size height tires,however,we did go to 12 inches wide in the rear and 8 or 9 inches wide in the front.

The differance in traction over the stock tires is like night and day.They do an excellant job in the worst mud or snowy conditions.

I have GoodYear MudRunners on my 00 Xplorer.They are as good in every catagorie as the Vampires and offer just a little better ride on hardpack surfaces.

There is a new Mud tire out called the OUTLAW,it looks AWESUME to.
Best of luck,===Bill

Old 06-17-2000, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Bill, No need to apologize.. I understand it is hard to believe, but I measured the ground clearance before and after.. You can ask SCMAN for verification.. Between the bigger tires and the Lugs on it, it stands 3 inches taller...We were both concerned about it rubbing the fenders, but it hasn't... One of our ridding buddies has an expedition 425.. The King Quad stands noticably taller than it now.... In a recent ride, he bottomed out on some rutts in a mudhole, and the King went through it...
Perhaps we'll meet somewhere one of these days, and you can measure it yourself. I ordered the bigger size, to get more ground clearance, but I did not expect it to pick it up that much. However, it was a pleasant suprise, as she is the last one to ground out in our group now...
It's still a rough ride on the trail though. I've got to figure out a way to help the ride now...

Old 06-17-2000, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Low Gear,well first off,im not apologizing.Im telling you there is no way for your measurements to be correct without the fenders and tires constantly making out with each other.Especially a KQ.The KQ comes from the factory with one of the tightest clearances between the fenders and tires.There simple is NOT enough room for adding a tire 3 inches higher in diameter on this model 4x4 without a lift kit,and I dont think a lift kit is avaliable for the KQ..No quad out there today will give you an extra 3 inches of ground clearance by only going to one size bigger tire.So,your measurements are incorrect.Why did my brothers KQ not gain any additional ground clearance with his Vampires?And you claim you only went one size bigger.

On my 00 Xplorer,I also went from 25 inch tires to the 26 inch Mudrunners,I gained about a half inch or so ground clearance.Get my point yet?======Bill

Old 06-17-2000, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know what to tell you Bill, other than that I'm not going to argue about it....
If you don't believe it, that's fine..... I don't care.. You can ask SCMAN, he knows how tall it stands now... If you are really concerned about it, your more than welcome to come down and measure it yourself, just to make sure I'm not too stupid to use a tape measure...
These guys asked about the tires, I told them the results they produced on my machine.. I can assure you that I have no reason to lie, I'm not getting a kickback from Vampire or anything for trying to sale their tires.
I don't care for being called a liar, but I also don't care for having to bicker like a 10 year old with someone who nows more about my machine than me, even though they have never seen it. You should email SCMAN, and ask him about it.
If he says the same thing, then you have multiple liars, who can't use a tapemeasure...
The tires are an inch taller themselves, then the lugs are almost two inches tall. It stands on the lugs, you can look under the tire... All I know is that the front skid plate is 3 inches taller than it was with the stock tires...
And no, a lift kit is not available for it. But as the tires have not rubbed anything yet, I guess I don't need one now...

Old 06-17-2000, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

LowGear,
I cant see anywhere in any of our posts where I called you a lier.I only disputed your measurements.When did Interco come out with a Vampire tire that has 2 inch lugs?My brothers are one and a quarter inch lugs.

Perhaps im wrong and stand corrected,If so,I do indeed apoligize.Last time I checked,Interco's Vamp lugs were not two inches deep.

Good Day====Bill

Old 06-17-2000, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Ok Bill, I did not physically measure the lugs.
I made a guess, they certainly look to be taller than an inch and a 1/4.. Maybe their not.. I don't know where the difference came from.. I haven't studied it that closely.. I did measure the ground clearance before I took the stock tires off and then measured it when I put the other tires on. It is 3 inches taller.. It stands noticably taller than the expedition now. It used to look small beside the expedition.. If I had known it would become an issue, I wouldn't have mentioned it.. These guys ask for help and opinions. If you offer one, then there is someone waiting to tell you how wrong you are.. I have become bored with the entire process...
This will probably be my last post... I don't see how bickering about who's right and who's wrong is helping anyone. This is why SCMAN quit posting, and I have come to agree with him...
So, I will graciously recant the whole story..
If it will make everyone breathe easier, we will say that after remeasuring, I discovered I was wrong and that the ground clearance was actually decreased by several inches.....
You all may carry on the fight without me...
Lots of luck..............

Old 06-17-2000, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well dont get so mad,I was only trying to prove a point with this measuring stuff and the math dont come out to an extra 3 inches.Who knows,maybe Interco done something to their tires that im unaware of.I did say I could be wrong to.I found your information about the Vampires traction was exactly as mine,great tires no matter what size they are.Now go take that KQ and dig up sum MUD,====Later and good day to ya,===Bill

Old 06-19-2000, 11:57 AM
Tym
Trailblazer

Not to start any arguments or add fuel to any, but there is a misconception about installing larger tires. If you slap on tires that are 1" bigger in total rolling diameter you only get a 1/2" of additonal lift. This is because half of the tire is above the axle, the lift comes from below the axle. To get the actual lift you must measur the radius, the center of the axle line to the outside of the tire, which should be 1/2 the diameter. The other half is above the axle doing nothing more than taking up fender space.

Hope this doesn't rub anyone the wrong way, just passing on some information to consider when buying tires...

Quick Reply: Tires for my King Quad