Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

building a 250r

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a 250r

Yeah man 85 and 86 are a lot different!!!!! VERY DIFFERENT!! I mean like 3 wheels versus 4!!!LOL!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!! 86 and 87 were the same just like 88 and 89 were the same................ BUT 86 was the first year that Honda came out with the 4-wheel version......... Before that it was only 3............... So yeah I guess it depends on the magnitude of difference you are referring to...........

Old 10-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default building a 250r

I see where Rojo is coming from. Most serious riders refer to the honda as a 250r and the suzuki is refered to as a lt250. That is how I designate them.

Old 10-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Range Rover
Default building a 250r

Originally posted by: u
Rojo Hey man we are talking about suzuki not Honda the last year they made the LT 250R was 1992. Back in the day the Honda was not the fastest quad, the lt250r would beat it in a drag, but the Kawi would beat them both. The Honda had a very good frame and can be upgraded very easy, Just like the lt250r and others. 1987 through 1992 are pretty much the same bike....1985-86 are different
Hmmmm You said back in the day Honda was not the fastest quad!! Okie Dokie, whatever you say 'Wise Master'.. However, I have a question regarding this statement that you type..... If the LT was the fastest quad made, how come everyone ran Hondas?? Yeah Gary Denton started out running LTs' under Team Suzuki, hmmm but what did he switch to later?? If the Suzukis' were so awesome, how come all of the Pros' are running Hondas?? I used to ride a Honda 250R a 88 as a matter of fact, and yeah they were fast bikes, walkled on some Lts', and was walked on by some LTs'...... Walked on some Tecate 4's and was walked on by some as well.... Walked on many other 250Rs', and was walked on over by some as well.............. This was back in the late 80s' and early 90s' when people were riding all sorts of brands........

But now I am riding a trusty YAMMER JAMMER, b/c they stick with the race oriented crowd and do not whimper away when the heat is put on by all of the various lawmakers, federal organizations such as EPA and so forth....... But why is not the LTs' ran by the Pros'?? Perhaps they do not hold together as well as the red bikes?? However, I do not want to sound like a schizophrenic or anything, personally speaking I think that the Hondas are way over-rated........................ Yammer Jammer needs to keep producing the mighty SHEE and many people will continue to be happy and not worry about the lil 250 cc bikes.............

Old 10-19-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default building a 250r

The Hondas had better frame geometry and suspension. That is why suzuki got beat out

Old 10-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Range Rover
Default building a 250r

The Hondas had better frame geometry and suspension. That is why suzuki got beat out

-------------------------

Okie dokie, wise one..................... BUT is it not true that the quads the Pros ride has uhhm aftermarket suspension, altered geometry and so forth??? So if this is true would your statement that you typed be somewhat erroneous?? I have heard alotta pro-racers that used to ride a LT state how they would soooo often break... Can you elaborate on this a little bit... According to production numbers, (amount of quads produced by a company) you should see WAY more LTs' out there instead of hondas!! I mean the LT was produced from 85-92, whereas the honda was produced from 86-89... IF my mathematical calculations are correct, this is twice the number of years in production and probably twice the number of quads built as well.... How come you see and hear more about the Hondas than the LTs'?? Hmmmm, scratching my head, did they stay together, or fallapart and people just got P1SSED off and threw their quads into the proverbial dumbster?? I will be looking for your response Almighty Wise one..

Old 10-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default building a 250r

i would buy a whole bike and get most of the parts like that.
save what you can and trick out the rest.
otherwise it will cost you more in the long run to piece something together.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default building a 250r

OK Smart A**
Racing frames were not as available as they are now, so the honda had a better stock frame and suspension, not to mention, when the first 250r came out, Suzuki still had the non power valve motor with short front shocks, and the "weak" swing arm. Naturally in 86, the Honda was dominant in most categories. In 87, Suzuki only changed the motor, swing arm and shocks(among other subtle changes) but still had the the same Frame geometry. The suzuki motor was debateably better, but riders wanted the better handling that the honda offered for the tracks. So oh mighty dumb one, theres your answer. Naturaly my reasoning is not the end all explanation, but whatever the case may be, Honda became the favorite. Stick that in your Pipe and smoke it. Look I own a Suzuki and dont really like the feel ofHondas, but I understand the advantages.
And who cares if one was made longer than another. If Honda was made longer, it would still be leading.

Old 10-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default building a 250r

I currently have a SHEE and when she is finished with the mods I will be willing to step up to any 250R on an MX track!!!!!!!!!!!
Good idea! I see alot of banshees winning MX events.

MX quads were all based on the 250R because they handled better, period. Honda developed the narrow front end that basically every sport quad made today has. The LT's did not have it so they lost

Vinson581 - Rebuilding a quad from the ground up is alot of work. I rebuilt my '86 and I probably wouldn't do it again because of the time and expense involved.

Old 10-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default building a 250r

Thank You Sam
Someone else who gets it

Old 10-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default building a 250r

i am not saying a ground up rebuil , but i want to buy a bike on cra*py , or ok condition and fix it up and modd it

i only want to spend the least amount from 0-1000 because if i get 1 that runs thats all i need any suggestions

Quick Reply: building a 250r