Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

22" rear holeshots

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22" rear holeshots

I've ridden my friends blaster and he has badlands. i like those tires alot but i dont think they make them to fit the rims on a z250. i changed my mind and i would accually like to get smaller tires than the stock so i can get more acceleration since i hardly ever need to go like 55 anyway. If i get smaller rear tires, will they be lighter and give me more acceleration?

Old 11-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

If you trail ride and go with smaller tires you will loose ground clearance. I would stick with the stock size and go with a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket.

I had 22 inch bandits on my 250 mojave and here was my experience with them. They slide good and have decent traction but the flat tire does not have as good traction as the round stockers. Here is what happens, as the tire gets wider there is less weight per square inch in contact with the ground and hence the tire acts like a sled and slides on the surface. This sliding is great in turns and on straight aways the tire hooks up good, but if you hill climb and the surface is loose, that flat tire is worse than the stock tire. It is all about trade offs and one tire cannot do everything. I actually like holeshots more than the bandits but the holeshot has better traction and wouldnt slide as easily, I wanted more sliding so I got the bandits (plus the bandits are kevlar and I never had a flat with them).

Basically here is how it goes:

Flat tires slide in turns

Round tires get better traction

soft compound tires get better traction

hard compund tires slide easier

so the best traction tire is a soft compund round tire, won't slide and excellent hill climbing.

the worst traction tire is a hard compound flat tire, slides easily and has poor traction.

Old 11-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

I got a set of 20x11x10 HoleShot XCR tires that have two weekends on them possibly 4slae.. A set of used Douglas rims off ebay and U all set for your type of riding. Why put such a tall tire on a 250 thumper?? Can you even do a gear change?? Correct me if wrong, your quad is shaft drive. Who cares if your 250 thumper goes 60mph, you will loose so much down low you will hate it.

Z400 has sam bolt pattern as 250R

Let me know if u want those tires , they have NEVER been ridden on pavement. 10 inch rim

Old 11-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

yes there is no sprockets on the z250 it is a shaft drive. and i dont want bigger rear tires, i want smaller rear tires to get more acceleration, not top speed. i am very happy with how the stock tires perform, but they are wearing down pretty bad so i will need to get new tires. I just wanted to know what kind of tires would perform nicely like the stock tires or if i should get a tire with more closer tread that will last longer. I ride mostly on trails so harder tires will be better im just not sure what to pick. also like i said, i dont have the money to buy rims, so the tires would have to fit the stock rims

Old 11-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

I didnt know you had shaft drive-bummer. If clearance isnt an issue lower profile tires would improve your acceleration. Your handling should improve slightly as the center of gravity will be lower.

Old 11-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

ok but what brand tires around 18 inches would fit the Z250 rims?

Old 11-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

Chewbacca, being a Z250 owner, I know how this quad runs, and you'll be thouroughly disappointed by going with a smaller rear tire. 1st off, your going to drop the ground clearance down an inch, and with this quad and inch is a little more then a 10% loss. 2nd your motor is going to wind out even quicker then it does now with your stock tires. 3rd, an 18" tire is more for MX closed course racing where clearance is not an issue and reaching top end quickly is more critical. My suggestion is to at least stick with a stock size tire (20") on your 9" rims. You'll find that most people that ride trails don't run 18" MX tires on their quads, there's a reason for that. And for those that have such strong comments on how this quad does with 22" Holeshots, come on out to PA and ride it, I'm sure you wont be disappointed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: KantCMe

>1st off, your going to drop the ground clearance down an inch, and with this quad and inch is a little more then a 10% loss.

&gt;2nd your <u>motor is going to wind out even quicker</u> then it does now with your stock tires.

---what does that mean?

3rd, an 18" tire is more for MX closed course racing where clearance is not an issue and reaching top end quickly is more critical.

---well im not mx racing but i really wanted more acceleration and i dont really care about going 56 mph

Old 11-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Range Rover

2. Wind out, your motor is going to reach its limit much quicker....if you notice 1st - 3rd reachs its limit really quick stock.
3. If you want better acceleration spend some money on performance upgrades, like an exhaust and an air filter.

Old 11-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

are there any good exausts for like $80-$100?

Quick Reply: 22" rear holeshots