Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

break in period for weisco pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in period for weisco pistons?

is their a certain break in period for this piston? it is for a 89 lt230e and the cyclinder is in great shape, can see honeing marks. and do i have to run premium 93 octaine gas? because it is high compression? this is a standard 66 x 67 mm bore and stroke. thanks

v581

Old 12-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Vinson 581...my 250 quadrunner shares the same bore as the 230...and also uses the same wiseco piston. Actually i have a 230 head and cam on it too! With the Wiseco piston installed it was pinging pretty bad with 87 octane, so i went up to 93. I imagine you may need to run the same. Get her together and try it out...if you hear it ping at all....just back off the throttle and go throw some 93 in it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] goodluck. Oh, and after i installed it for break in i just varried the throttle as much as posible and didn't hold it wide open at all.
Shaun

Old 12-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

i have good rings, a fresh hone, new piston and rings. and good valves. the thing pings, but still smokes, i am so pissed off is there anything i can do?

Old 12-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

How bad does it smoke? Just on occasion on or off throttle? or lotz all the time? One thing that comes to mind with the 250's and 230's when you install the head...there are 4 washers that go under neath the head nuts....2 are steal and 2 are copper, the washers have to be in the correct spot...on the correct stud or you will have extremetely excessive oil usage and smoke....just something to check...i can't remeber off the top of my head what washer/nut go together and where. Also, how was your piston to cylinder clearence? if that starts to get a little excessive you may have slight blowby even with new rings. Last thing is your valve seals in the head, if they are on their way out that will also cause the oil usage.

Shaun

Old 12-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

i have to check for those washers. this is fustrateing the heck outta me. should i rip it apart again?. when the cyclinder bolst to the the motor case, the is three spacers, more like metal gaskets, how many should there be? it smoke the first time i started it, then i rode it and it compleatly stopped, then i rode some more, and it smokes all the time bad. could i have put the rings on not in the Y accidently? i will check that, i know that can cause smoke...

why would the washers make a difference?, and lastly how can i check for piston to cycliner clearance?

Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

I know the factory head gasket is metal gasket with several layers stamped together which sometimes will de-laminate a little bit...i don't recall if the base gasket is the same but that sounds like what it could be. The washers will definatly do that...they will cause loads of oil to pass through so that would be the first thing i would check before you rip everything down. Ok, here is how the washers go....standing in front of the machine...on the exhaust port side of the head. on the bottom left should be the steel washer. Top left shouold be copper washer. Bottom right should be copper and top right should be steel. I cant honestly say why the washers make that much differnce...my guess is that the copper washer...which in the parts diagram is listed as a gasket must somehow seal the oil form running down the studs into the cylinder...thats just a guess. I know the service manual sais to be sure to have them in the correct locaiton or there will be lots of oil consumption...i found that out the hard way b4 i had the service manual when i was working on my friends machine lol. talk about smoke! took a while to figure out what it was! But yea i would pull the valvecover and check those b4 doing anything else...if that doesn't solve the problem then i would pull the head and definatly install new valve seals well it was off...inexpensive and easy to do yourself. You can use a dial caliper to check the size of the cylinder bore...then compare that to the stock bore to see how much piston/cylinder clearence there is. I know even on mine there was quite a bit more than it should have had but it didn't smoke...or for that matter very little and only ocasionly. so i doubt thats your issue. And if you do tear it down you can double check the rings to make sure they are correct also...or make sure one of the oil rings didn't break..or the spring between them oil rings. Goodluck with it, hope you get it running right again![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Shaun

Old 12-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Are we talking about smoke from the exhaust or the motor itself smoking?

Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

yea i will go and put thoes washers on right, and check the rings, i think when i pushed the cyclinder down through them, i think they turned, so i will check that.

Old 12-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

Oh! i forgot to mention, the acorn nuts go with the copper washers, the other nuts go with the steal washers![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

What does "good rings" mean. If you have a new piston, honed the cylinder you should have new rings. Spacing rings isn't that critical since they move all the time, unless you lined them up...a nono.

Oil can only come up through the oil ring or down the valve stems. Also make sure you put the rings on correctly. Many have a top and bottom. Plus the oil ring should have an expander.

Glancing at my KQ 300 manual there is an oil seal on the valve stems. It might be dried and cracked.

Quick Reply: break in period for weisco pistons?