Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson ???

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Can anyone tell me about the Suzuki Vinson 500? How does is measure up to the big 700s or the sporty feel of the smaller sports? I had my eye on the Polaris Scrambler 500 for a long time until the Vinson sparked my attention. I'm looking to buy an ATV before summer and need some advice. I'm looking for something that will master trails, creeks, mud, and the woods; I don't need anything for chores. Please help! I would hate to spend upwards of $6,500 on something that I will not be happy with. Thanks.

Phil

Old 12-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vinson ???

The Vinson is a great machine. I have a 2003 5spd, and it has plenty of power. It is real good on tight trails and has a top speed of 63+ mph. My only problem with it is two broken CV"s. It is because I have a 28" tires, a lift kit, And a detriot locker. I have ordered heavy duty CV's from Rockford Constant Velocity. That should cure my problem. My wife has a 2003 Scrambler 500 4x4. It is also a great machine. I ride it as much as my Vinson. They are two different quads. The Vinson is better in most conditions, But the Scrambler is better on open roads and will slide better. I tend to get alot more crazy and ride faster and harder on it. The Scrambler has a very good 4x4 system and will suprise you at where it will go. The Vison will go anywhere I'm brave enough to take it. It has 16" of ground clearance at the floorbroards.

Old 12-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson ???

I heard bad things about the shifter on the 2002 Vinson. Have you had any problems or do you know if this was fixed in the 03. Also, do you know if there are any differences between the 03 & 04 models?

Old 12-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson ???

Outrage
The 04 is going to get a redesigned trans. I had problems with mine. The shifter was too low to get my toe under it and I found myself keeping presure on it and it would go in between gears. I took it off and moved it up on the shaft and have had no more problems. My buddy did the same to his Vinson.
It's great to be able to leave it in first or second in the tough stuff, or shift into low range in deep mud. I've had mine up to the racks in my favorite mud hole.
The scrambler dosen't have that option. It dosen't have a low range at all. In the real tough stuff I somtimes see the belt smoke and slip. It got water in the trans when I was in water about halfway up the seat. Had to be pulled out and pull the drain from the bottom of the trans to drain the water.

Old 12-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson ???

Great, but after thinking about it I thought of getting the automatic. Not that I don’t know how to shift but thought it would be easier for my wife and to tell you the truth I’m not sure I want to shift anyway. Can you tell me or heard anything about these?

If there isn't any big changes between the 03 and 04 I was hoping to get a better deal on the 03s since everyone wants the latest and greatest.

I think my mind is made up as far as between the Vinson and Scrambler. The Vinson sounds so much better for my needs but how does it hang with the big 700s?

Old 12-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson ???

The auto's are good also. Thats why I bought the Scrambler because my wife doesn't like to shift. She also thought the Vinson was too big for her. The vinson will keep up with the big bores and handle the trails much better. It almost has a sport feel.

Old 12-27-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson ???

I Just Got A '04 LE Auto Vinson.. 2 Words... Love It.
Digital Fuel, Speedomiter. Electric And Pull Start. And.. Its Nice Looking So Thats A Bonus. I Cant Wait To Break Her In.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson ???

seems to be a very reliable machine, looks sharp too

Old 12-27-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson ???

Outrage I took a look at this one before I bought the 650 kaw.I thought it handled very well and was sporty.The two things that turned me off was the radiator looked vulnerable and for almost the same money I could get the 650.As far as keeping up with the big bores yes it will on th etrails but when you hit the fire roads or straights forget it.The last trip to HAtfield/McCoy there was a guy DYING to race me on his man shift Vinson.We went ot the road and did it 4 times,although I have to admit he made a good show it was still a 500 vs a 650 and you know the rest of the story.The guys I know that have them like them alot and they serve them well.Oh...I almost forgot,the other reason I jumped was the 650 (now 700) had the locking diff.
The point I am trying to make is the Vinson is a good machine but for 3-400 dollors more you could get a 700 Kaw or a Grizz....just my thoughts
02 650 camo

Old 12-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson ???

Thanks for the info. I'm not to worried about top speed but I do want to make sure it can handle the rock filled creeks, muddy river beds, and root crazy woods. If this quad can keep up with the big guys for the most part I'm liking the sporty feel of a smaller beast.

You do have a good point about the price and I will look into this. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Vinson ???