Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LTZ400 BEATS A MODIFIED YFZ

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTZ400 BEATS A MODIFIED YFZ

Originally posted by: ORANGE400exRACER
[b]RPM[,/b] Kory's bike wasn't stock. I am just saying that for those who already have a LTZ or KFX, that there is still hope. I paid $6,000.00 out the door for my KFX400; my buddy paid $8,250.00 for his YFZ. Now that 2,250 more than my KFX. IF I take $2,250 and dump it into my KFX, the KFX will be faster than the stock YFZ.
your buddy got burned i paid 6310. for my yfz out the door and it has not been outrun by a moded 400z. and i like the z's a lot the powere is just not the same.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

gotta price on a new yfz450 out the door for 6679.86 i thought it was a very good price considering selling one of my 400ex. does that sound like a good price to yall

Old 02-12-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

hey anthony7, how does that zilla compare to the yfz on holeshot?

Old 02-12-2004, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

seems how i have not worked the bugs out it, it just doesnt hang. but i believe once i get the carb jetting set it should hold its own. i had a banshee and a zilla blew me slap off the road. my yfz will take my old banshee but i would not want to run that zilla against my yfz, that zilla would probably take it. thoes zillas when right are just plain bad to the bone.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

I paid 5300 otd for my kfx 400, Now i went to the yamaha shop to compare prices for the yfz vs kfx. I just could not justify spending 1600 dollars more for a bike with no reverse. Sure the yfz will smoke me but i`ll dump 1600 plus into the mods of my choice and keep up with a y and enjoy my reverse . thank you very much.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ORANGE400exRACER
All I have to say is "if you have a LTZ400 or KFX and want to beat a modified YFZ then get a Yoshimura Kit". Doug Gust's LTZ450 was faster than Kory Ellis's Alba YFZ450. Doug's LTZ out pulled Korys YFZ going up Mt. Saint Helens @ the GNC. Kory admits that Doug's LTZ450 was faster and had more power than his YFZ. So LTZ and KFX owners don't worry, Yoshimura is your answer. The same kit on Doug's quad runs about $2,900.00 (piston, clutch kit, stroked crank, porting and valve job, 39 or 41mm FCR, cams and ignition).
Didnt a YFZ win overall???????? LOL!!! HMMMMMMMM and it didnt have to have all this motor work done!!! Remember guys, 450cc's is the limit! Also why did you title the post " LTZ400 beats a MODIFIED YFZ??? When it should have been " SUPER MODIFIED LTZ450 beats a semi modified YFZ" because in comparison the YFZ didnt have motor work done where it changed the CC's, the LTZ gained a FULL 50cc's and STILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LOSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!! Guess you forgot to mention that one!!! SO GO BACK AND CHANGE THE TITLE of this to the CORRECT TITLE!!!

Old 02-12-2004, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

I just could not justify spending 1600 dollars more for a bike with no reverse. Sure the yfz will smoke me
enough said.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

tellico I tell you what I straight out beat my 2 friends with modded yfz in a drag every time. I tell you the yfz is a nice quad and yes it is fast no its not a comfordable machine but he I guess like I said there is a butt for every seat. I guess you could all read magazines and belive what they say or you cuold actually see something totally different when your out on the track and trails. The point he was making is they did say the z was and is faster, and its still gonna come down to rider on a race track who cares about a drag race I dont think many people here are just drag racing so like we all always say it comes down to rider.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

I think the point he is making, is that the truth and the “YFZ HYPE” are very different. Jo Blow knowing nothing about quads would read the “Hype” in here and walk away thinking the YFZ goes twice as fast(that’d be about 110 MPH), has twice the power (64HP) and twice the handling.
The truth is that the larger engined YFZ is closer to 2% faster.
I also have a lot of experience with the YFZ engine on the bikes before the detuning, and have never been impressed with it. It makes pathetic power off the bottom and has almost zero roll on power. You have to wind it up like a two stroke to get it moving. The 5 valve head gives up a lot of low and mid range power and only really starts working well when you wind it up near the rev limiter.
I know you simple minded folks are going to have a hard time believing this, but Yamaha has to deal with the same laws of physics as Suzuki. 450cc in one will be the same as 450cc in the other, with the one exception being the 5 valves versus 4. And on a heavy quad the extra power down low on the 4 valve head will actually be an advantage. That’s why Honda is using variable valve usage on all there new performance engines. Below a certain RPM only 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve are used, this boosts low and mid power. Once the motor reaches the higher revs it uses all 4 valves. Works like a charm.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MegaCrash
I think the point he is making, is that the truth and the “YFZ HYPE” are very different. Jo Blow knowing nothing about quads would read the “Hype” in here and walk away thinking the YFZ goes twice as fast(that’d be about 110 MPH), has twice the power (64HP) and twice the handling.
The truth is that the larger engined YFZ is closer to 2% faster.
I also have a lot of experience with the YFZ engine on the bikes before the detuning, and have never been impressed with it. It makes pathetic power off the bottom and has almost zero roll on power. You have to wind it up like a two stroke to get it moving. The 5 valve head gives up a lot of low and mid range power and only really starts working well when you wind it up near the rev limiter.
I know you simple minded folks are going to have a hard time believing this, but Yamaha has to deal with the same laws of physics as Suzuki. 450cc in one will be the same as 450cc in the other, with the one exception being the 5 valves versus 4. And on a heavy quad the extra power down low on the 4 valve head will actually be an advantage. That’s why Honda is using variable valve usage on all there new performance engines. Below a certain RPM only 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve are used, this boosts low and mid power. Once the motor reaches the higher revs it uses all 4 valves. Works like a charm.
Pathetic power on the "BIKES" on bottom end??? And you have a z and your gonna "SAY" the "BIKE" doesnt have any bottom end? Zero roll-on power? I believe I have ALL the experience I will ever need on these "BIKES"(sig)! The YFZ makes power on the bottom mid and high! But if your racing MX who stays in the low end of the gears?? NOT ME or anyone else that I race with! Sure it has a 2 stroke feel but you don't have to "WIND" it out like a 2 stroke!! In fact most beginner and novice riders don't even use the clutch in the corners! By the way, I'll run you ANY DAY on your 450EXC against my 285!!! Or my 450F in stock form with nothing but a PIPE would lay WASTE to your EXC! If you so experienced with the "BIKES" then you might recall the KTM 525 racing the 426's and what happened? Be aware that sometimes you can run into a few people that aren't "SIMPLE MINDED"! I guess that would make me "CRAZY" wouldnt it?

Quick Reply: LTZ400 BEATS A MODIFIED YFZ