Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

seized motor, I need options please, I am new to this sport. Thanks (Z 400)

Old 03-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seized motor, I need options please, I am new to this sport. Thanks (Z 400)

Well guys I was riding my quad for about 10 min after I changed the oil ( i think I put the filter in backwards but I have not checked yet) and it just seized up, if I put it in 5 I can pull it back and it will spin the motor a little and then I hit the start button and it will turn over for a split second and stop like the motor is catching on somthing. So my ? are if this is the case what am I looking at here? new cam's? piston rings? crank work? The crank should have oil in it even though the topend was dry right? if that is the case it should be ok? do you think I can free the piston and be ok? all ideas are welcome.

P.S what would it cost to rebuild just the top end?
just the bottom end?
what about the hole motor? all of these just parts wise and where would I get the parts?

and also what about a 440 kit or somthing? what would one of them cost? and who would I get it from? thanks

Old 03-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default seized motor, I need options please, I am new to this sport. Thanks (Z 400)

find out if you put the filter in backwaards first,then we will go from there.you remind me of someone i know.wait a minute,is this ed??there is no way that there are two of you in this world.hurry up and take a look at the filter and report back.save the oil that u drain.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

If you can turn it at all the motor aint locked up but something broke. Its easy to pull off the top end(not the whole jug) and check the pistonfor movement. If the motor will turn over then you know its in the head. You didn't say if it happens in Neutral but if it does then you know its prolly not in the tranny.

Its broke now so you may as well tear into it. Get a service manual. Retorque the bolts correctly when you put it back together.