Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New to Everything

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2000, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I needed a 4wheeler sooooo I ended up getting a Quadrunner 250 4x4. It's a 2000. So far so good.I tried out a lot of different ones and a lot of different sizes. Still have lots of things to learn about these. Right now Im a little worried about the heat build up and thinking maybe i should have gotten something different.Dealer told me for what I wanted it would work fine but it seems to get hot.I should add Im a low speed guy,trails,snowplowing and such are my thing.

Old 07-16-2000, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pusher, you don't reveal how much experience you have with air-cooled engines.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the cooling system design of the Suzuki QR 250 4x4; temperature equilibrium is established by heat transfer from the metal cases and fins by convection and radiation. These surfaces must get hot for the system to work.

Make sure you choose a low-enough gear or drive ratio; don't "lug" the engine in too high a gear; lugging can lead to overheating.

Fear not; you have a fine, versatile machine--and, it's still under warranty!

Tree Farmer

Old 07-16-2000, 08:25 PM
Range Rover

Nothing against the 250,But i would of gone with the KQ.I know its not that many more ccs,But you never know when you will need that extra....BOB

Old 07-17-2000, 05:55 AM
Pro Rider

Pusher, you have an excellent machine. I have to agree with TreeFarmer, that it's a very capable quad. But as does the King Quad, it lack in power. I'm assuming your quad has a light indicator that warns you when the engine is over heating. It's important to keep debris washed off, especially in and around the engine. The fins that TreeFarmer mentioned, are the prime source for taking heat away from the engine and if there's a lot of dirt, leaves or other foreign matter stuck between the fins, they can not do the job they're designed to do. I use the water hose, after each time I hit the trail, taking extra care to wash the engine area.
I use my quad for trails and snow plowing also and I've never had a problem with over heating, except once on a very tight, difficult trail. I've been riding now since October of '98 with a little over 1000 miles. Though (the King Quad) it's a little under powered, I wouldn't trade it unless Suzuki, came up with a 400 cc, 4 stoke, with the same transmision. That conversation seems to fall on deaf ears.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...