Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad Crank Case Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad Engine

I have a 1994 King quad. I had to restore my compression problem, so i decided to have a wiseco piston kit and OEM valve components to put into the bike. I had it in a Suzuki dealer for service and 85 days later i was given my bike back and it quit running after 5 minutes of pickig it up.

The bigest problem was the ATV had jumped time and the timing chain tore off the alignment tabs for the starter gears in the crank case.

I am wonderign if anyone has had this problem before and what ideas you have in fixing it without replacing the two crank case halves, which turns into a complete rebuild of hte engine.

I am in the process of sueing these incompetant dealer in court and i hope i win. I will post a long list of infor once the case is settled. But i want to know if anyone has any ideas. Please help a guy out here.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad Engine

Originally posted by: BigMattie10KingQuad
I have a 1994 King quad. I had to restore my compression problem, so i decided to have a wiseco piston kit and valve components put into the bike. I had it in a Suzuki dealer for service and 85 days later i was given my bike back and it quit running after 5 minutes of pickig it up. The bike had jumped time and tore off the alignment tabs for the starter gears in the crank case.|
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you need or what happened.
That a shop had your ATV for nearly three months just to replace piston and rings and a valve job...Wow. Way too long. But you say the bike 'Jumped time'. Do you mean the valve timing chain skipped a tooth and went out of time? The spark timing? It's hard to imagine the CDI ignition timing going out and they wouldn't have been in there for a top end rebuild anyway. I'll assume you mean valve train timing went out. Hard to imagine this as well, even if they didn't put the tensioner back in there there isn't slack enough to skip a tooth. None the less I'll assume you mean the valve timing went out causing the motor at low speed to fire ahead of tdc, and make the crank reverse and thus cause the sprague clutch in the starter gear train to engage and violently jar the gear train causing the damage. Whew!

OK there aren't any alignment tabs per se in the starter gear train. The starter shaft gear engages an intermediate free turning gear which in turn engages the big gear on the crank that turns the crank via a sprague (overrunning) clutch. when the starter engages, the gear train engages the crank and turns it as long as the crank is still or turning slower than the sprague gear but as soon as the crank turns faster than the sprague gear it is free to do so and the sprague doesnt engage.
Do you mean the intermediate shaft bearing journals in the crankcase are broken? This too is hard to imagine as they are well supported in the castings. I have a hard time with the information given, trying to see what has happened.