Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New Z-400 owner looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z-400 owner looking for recommendations

What up all? After my RM 250 became posessed by satan and decided to crash and hurt me every time I rode and just wanting to ride something different I decided to get rid of it and pick up a sport quad (i guess i am getting old and dirt is much harder than snow). After extensive research I decided on a used Z-400 or Raptor whenever a good deal on one came along, a new YFZ or TRX would have been sweet but a little too much cash for my taste (and my snowmachine is too expensive as it is). A guy I know sold me the following quad for $4000, which is a pretty good deal if you ask me for up here in alaska:

2003 white Z-400 (ridden less than 10 times total)
nerf bars
rear skid plate
yoshimura slip on
FLY Aero taper bars with ROX 2" pivot riser

Let me start off by saying that the fun factor on this quad is much higher than my dirt bike (may be to just being new to me though) and I cant stop riding it. The motor may have a little less power than my RM 250 (with full FMF exhaust) but with the linear power band and gobs of torque I would take this motor over the 250 two stroke any day. I am in love with the sound of the yoshimura slip on, the spark arrestor has been taken out and it sounds like a harley, very cool.

I do have a few questions. With the quad already in a pretty basic stage of tune what would be the next step in making this quad an ever better machine? I am a mid-sized dude (175 lbs) and it has plenty of power for now, does an aftermarket jet kit make that much of a difference with only a slip on? Also, I will be doing mainly wooded trail and mud riding (no sand or snow) and would a set of new more aggressive rear tires be a good investment, if yes then what are some good choices? Does a header pipe make much horsepower for the $$$?

Thanks fellaz

Old 04-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Adding a head pipe to your slipon on an otherwise stock outfit will net you little noticeable gains. What your next step should be is to open your airbox, maybe drill 1" holes in the lid where you can utilize those vent plugs commonly available. They allow you to keep some crud out when you're riding in sloppy conditions, and remove them for open holes when it's dry out. Get a K&N filter. Read up on jetting from some of the internet sites, then play with your main jet-needle position-idle jets and get it as crisp as you can. Getting your current setup to run at its optimum is an excersise that is grossly overlooked. The next real improvement is going into the engine for cam and head mods.

As for tires, I'm cheap so I run the factory ones down before I go buy good ones like Holeshot XC's or similar.

Welcome to the forums, where opinions are never in short supply. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Yea definently get a K&N and run an open airbox or drill holes in it like ShadyRascal said then add the header pipe and rejet.

I really dont want my bike to be any faster.Maybe in the sand but its scary enough in the woods now.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Listen to these guys. Thay have the right idea. Holeshots are great tires, that's what I'm ridin with. I ran down my stockers till they went bald. Good Luck and have fun.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey i've had my z 400 since last nov and i like it more every time i ride it , i was talking to my dealer and he said if you ride hard new front shocks really make a difference in the handeling and he has a Z so he knows what he's talking about . his is got the yoshi pipe and exaust and re jetted , mine is stock yet but i'm going to race him any way . just for laughs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:

Old 04-28-2004, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on getting the Z, fun machine...you'll hear about the frame issues, but I've never had one on mine, BTW I dropped down to a 13 tooth front sprocket for the woods, for more bottom end

Old 04-28-2004, 02:14 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
Adding a head pipe to your slipon on an otherwise stock outfit will net you little noticeable gains. What your next step should be is to open your airbox, maybe drill 1" holes in the lid where you can utilize those vent plugs commonly available. They allow you to keep some crud out when you're riding in sloppy conditions, and remove them for open holes when it's dry out. Get a K&N filter. Read up on jetting from some of the internet sites, then play with your main jet-needle position-idle jets and get it as crisp as you can. Getting your current setup to run at its optimum is an excersise that is grossly overlooked. The next real improvement is going into the engine for cam and head mods.

As for tires, I'm cheap so I run the factory ones down before I go buy good ones like Holeshot XC's or similar.

Welcome to the forums, where opinions are never in short supply. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
that pretty well sums it up,,,,,more air, more fuel,,,,,,,tune, tune, tune

You will love the 400,,,,good bike

Old 04-28-2004, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Up here in the marshy bog that is Alaska, new tires are a must. I'm lookin at some maxxis sur trak's for winter/break up and RAZR 2's for summer. I was told the RAZR 2's have as much traction as the holeshots (same tread design), but last twice as long. I went through some crap today that I shouldn't have, and almost didn't, cause I'm still runnin my crappy stock tires. As far as putting a head pipe on your bike, I'd suggest just lookin into a complete system from CT. About 6 more horse over a slip-on.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will drill holes in the air box lid, get a K&N filter, get a jet kit and leave the motor alone for a while, it has plenty of power and probably the best way to up the performance of the bike would be for me to become a better rider by spending lots of trigger time on it. I put some ROX handguards on today (which look very trick by the way) so tires will probably be the next item to drop money on. Was looking at tires today and they want $110 a piece for ITP Holeshots and like $55 for a less known brand that look like they have a much beefier and gnarlier tread design. All my buddies ride 4x4 quads so some more aggressive tires are a must. Filter, jet kit, and tires, there goes another $300 (toys are expensive), still sport quads are far less aftermarket spendy than snowmachining so that is very nice.

Couple more questions.... on average how many miles do you get out of a tank of gas? What octance gas do you run (filled it up with 91) will it run fine on regular? Anyone else have problems with the engine "on/off" handlebar switch becoming all gunked up, having a new dead quad led to a couple seriously frustrating minutes until I figured out what was the problem (scraped it with a screw driver and hit it with contact cleaner, all is good)? Should I run a complete skid plate or is a rear only skid plate fine (dont plan on doing rock riding, but isnt that always the case)? What do you guys use to lube the chain, and how often do you lube your chain?

Need some opinions as well. Seriously looking at that new "Fusion" plastic paint, wondering how an all black z-400 with new graphics kit and seat cover would look? I love the all black and aluminum look (sled is all black, chrome, and aluminum) does anyone have any pics of this already done?

Thanks again guys.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:06 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

miles,,,,depends on jetting and mods,,,,in stock form you can probably get over 100 miles if you try,,,,,in reality,,,,50-80 depending on how agressive you are riding it

octane,,,,go with 87 or 89

i like full skid plates (for the mountain riding)(less stuff poking up through and breaking stuff)

use some chain wax,,,,,,and maybe buy a chain scrubber to keep it in great shape

If ground clearance and traction are an issue,,,,you may want to consider some 22" rears ans 23" fronts
I use the Holeshots XTC and love em (6 ply tough,,,,and they get awesome traction)

Quick Reply: New Z-400 owner looking for recommendations