Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need 230e information please

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 230e information please

My brother recently purchased a 1988 LT230e that needs a little work.

First.....
There is a rattle somewhere in the motor. It doesn't effect the performance and you can't hear it when you give throttle but can at idle. I've been told maybe it's the cam chain. How difficult is it to replace this and does anyone else have any thoughts to what else the rattle could be?

Second.....
The wheels on the 230e are in very poor shape. We don't want to sink a ton of money into this. What is the bolt pattern, what wheels will fit, aftermarket/other manufacturers/ etc...

Third.....
We replaced the brake pads (front and rear) but the brakes are still VERY weak. We've checked the master cylinders for fluid and bled the brake lines and it helped a little but not much. Could it be that the master cylinders need replaced/new pistons and seals? Or could it be something else?

Fourth.....
I'd like to tighten the suspension a bit. What inexpensive shocks are available and what else should be changed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2004, 04:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

1. Most likley the cam chain, have you tryed to adjust it?....very easy to do. Have you checked your valve lash yet? That also will cause a tick.

2. ?????

3. Make sure you bleed them good. most any ATV or motorcycle are a pain in the @$$ to blead. Then yes the master may need to be rebuilt.

4. They do not make inexpencive shocks aftermarket. Just get yours rebuilt, it will make a world of difference! Did you play with the adjustment on the shocks to get a better ride?

Old 05-04-2004, 05:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

How do I adjust the cam chain?

I'm not familiar how to adjust the shocks. Can you give me some pointers?

Old 05-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The cam chain tensioner is at the base of the cylinder on the left,rear side. It is held on the cylinder with two bolts. It has a lock nut over a flat head screwdriver bolt. Loosen the nut and unscrew the "flat head" bolt one full turn and you should hear is lightly click. There is a spring loaded piston in there that when you loosen the lock bolt it will slide foward to take up the slack in the cam chain.....Tighted it all back down and you should be good to go.

On the shocks
For the rear.... loosen up the lock ring on the top of the coil spring and then tirn the lower ring tighter for a stiffer ride then tighten the lock ring back.
For the fronts....Look at the botton of the shock, there should be a couple of holes in it . Put a couple punches in the holes and turn the shock, The shock has detents in it. the taller the notch you put it on the stiffer the shocks will ride.
Hope this helps. If you need some pics from the book PM me your e-mail.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

Hey i know someone selling a whole 230 for $200 minus the engine top end has good wheels n tires etc... also im currently assembly my top end n need some help so if you have the manual could u send me some pics of the top end directions.thanx

Old 05-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yea just PM me your e-mail and tell me all the stuff you would like and I will scan them in.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Range Rover

CAllmemitch718@aol.com Well for now i only need any info n pics they mention about the tp end. thanx

Old 05-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

AOL.com.....you have dial-up? Reason I ask is if you do I need to shrink the pictures o0r you will never get to open them.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Range Rover

I dont have slow dial up i got high speed internet so send em on over, thanx

Old 05-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There you go.....they are all on the way

Quick Reply: Need 230e information please