Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Help just bought lt250r!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help just bought lt250r!!!!

I just bought a 89 suzuki lt250r. after riding it for a little while, it sometimes just shuts off. when i try to restart it the kick start won't move at all. then the last time this happened we let it sit for a couple minutes and when i tried the kickstart again there was no compression. I'm new to 4 wheelers and don't know alot about 2 strokes. somebody help me, i'm addicted to riding this thing and now i can't

Old 05-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

Just wondering did you even test ride the 89 250r?? Well i myself just recently got a 85 lt 250r, so i cant really help you..

Old 05-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes i test rode it, it ran very strong for a few days until this. i'm takin the top end off today

Old 05-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

you dont have to take the engine out to do just a top end.

Old 05-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget to disconect the powervalve linkage

Old 05-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Piston swelling,overheating problem,do to the carb is too lean.My Zilla did the samething when I first bought it.I test rode it and all was fine,but I did'nt ask the guy what kind of riding he did so,after I took it out for the first time riding with friend's I had the same problem's,shut right off and could'nt kick it over,let it sit and cool off I could kick it over.Well anyway's I took the engine to Vito and he showed and explained to me that the engine was running too lean,the exhaust side of the piston was a mess,scared up bad.I had him put a fresh top end in it and bought a new carb and that cured the problem's.The carb that was on it was and out dated Mikuni,so I got a new one from FTZ racing real good carb 41mm smooth bore flat slide,Won many race's with it,then I learned about the Lectron carb,now that's on it.

Old 05-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

yep took out the top end, you can see right through the piston the hole is so big and the cylinder is also far beyond repair. this looks like it should be relatively easy to fix once i get the parts, am i right, or would it be worth the money to have it done professionally?

Old 05-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

It would be cheaper just to do the work your self. But i would go somewhere and ask a pro on what piston he should use, what bore and all those goodies. If you take it somewhere it will probably cost around 500 bucks. Your self:the piston price and Lunch..lol. Weisco(not sure how its spelled) makes awesome pistons. When you put it in though you have to ride it alot and it wiill keep dieing from heat until you break it in. Usually like 2 or 3 gas tanks!

Old 05-31-2004, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you've got a hole in your piston, you're going to probably want it done professionally. It's likely that molten metal was sprayed down into the crankcase when it overheated, so I doubt this is going to just be an issue of a bore and new piston. Might be time for a new crank. =(

Old 05-31-2004, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: domba420
yep took out the top end, you can see right through the piston the hole is so big and the cylinder is also far beyond repair. this looks like it should be relatively easy to fix once i get the parts, am i right, or would it be worth the money to have it done professionally?
" you may have more problems here than you think. why did you put a hole through the piston. Could be preignition. Is the cylinder scarred on th exhaust side only or on the intake and exhaust. You may have been running really lean but i'd look into your timing as well.

if tyhere is a hole in your piston, where did the metal go? Can you see it lodged in the cylinder head or wall. Make sure you split that bottom end. Theres nothing like redoing your engine to only blow it again the first ride out.

alot of guys can take a mototr apart, but to rebuild it takes alittle know how. if your asking why there is no compression after you seized the engine and let her cool, maybe you should take it into the shop. you may save in the long run by getting the job done by a pro

Quick Reply: Help just bought lt250r!!!!