Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 vs. predator 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 vs. predator 500

Ok here is the dilemma. I have been riding 4X4's for years, but have never ridden sport quads. I have never even used a manny clutch, but im sure that I will not have a problem. I have been riding alot lately and am ready to get into the sport category.
Im 24, 5'10, 180, and have seriously been looking at the z400. From what I read it is a good overall quad that is easy to ride. Matter of fact I was about to buy the z last week until I went into my dealer and did some talking with the salesman.
I looked over the predator and found out that I could get the 500 for $100 more than the z due to a rebate this month. z-$5000 and pred-5100. I love the look of both quads, so looks are not the issue. I just dont want to buy the z and be dissapointed. But also dont want the pred if it is too much
....My riding is totally trails. I ride out on the tracks, and dip into trails and fly around. That is it, I will never be racing on an mx track...just racin with other quads around the dirt pit. I have never ridden either and do not know what I need or want.
Not having reverse is a big thing holding me up on this quad. Is that a big deal? I also heard that the predator is hard to wheelie. Is this true? Do you think a person of my riding ability would notice a difference between the two quads. Will the pred suspension be too tight for my riding preferences and abilities.
Please help me in making this decison, as I want to buy a quad very soon. Im just the type of person who likes to make educated decisions so all the help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

I don't think you can go wrong either way. It is really just personnal preference and which one feels right for you. Some people are going to swear by the Z and others swear by the Predators. Both quads have there good points and both have had problems. I have had my Z since October and besides a couple minor problems I love it and strongly recommend it. I drove a predator once and didn't like the feel of it, but I am used to my Z. I think you will be very impressed by either quad.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Range Rover

From what I hear, the Predator is a pretty quick machine. I was going to get one, but decided to go with the Honda instead.

The Z/KFXs are good all-around quads. I'll bet they are pretty comfortable to ride also.

Normally for what you describe as your experience, I would recommend the Z. However, with only $100 difference, the Pred has some nice shocks and a bit more power. These are things alot of guys upgrade anyway, so you'd be further ahead in that aspect.

I'd say if you can handle the extra power and lack of reverse, then get the Pred. I believe the 2004 may be a little easier to wheelie, but they are designed to stay planted, which is probably a good thing with all that power! I gave up reverse AND electric start for this Honda, but with the handling and power...I don't mind one bit!

If it's a 2003 Pred, then I'd definitely get the extended warranty. I have heard of a few blowing trannys. If you are unsure whether you can honestly handle the power, then go with the Z/KFX...there are a ton of upgrades for that when you are ready for it.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF i were you, i would definitly get the 400. The pred. doesnt have reverse which is very nice on trail riding. Also i have a kfx and there havent been any preds that have beat me and i have minor upgrades to my quad. The kfx-400 has a linear smooth pull to it, and is very nice to ride. To be honest the only place were i have seen preds. really used are the dunes and thats about it. For the riding you do, you would want a kfx/400. Even guys that have the yzf-450 are in impressed with my quad, plus i blow preditors away all the time. But its all in the rider remember that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Go with the Z suzuki has been making sport atv's forever and the pred is polarisis first. plus the z motor comes from the proven drz 400 if im not mistaken.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

the only bad thing about the pred is it is heavy and dosnt have reverse.it is a bit to tug around.but after riding one all day saturday i was really really impressed with it.it has power everywhere you need it.it will crawl away from me at top speeed and it is a totally stock 2004.it handles awsome and has great looks.i say test ride them both and buy the one that fits you.the pred would be a big seller if it had reverse.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

to answer your wheelie question, i wouldnt say the pred is bad at them...just not as good as the z...when i rode the pred i felt it was very hard to find the groove for the wheelies but on my dvx i found it right away and fell in love with the machine

Old 07-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

How is the DVX 400, I've looked at it before I bought my Z250 Sport Quad, I've been mostly riding 4x4's ... I just bought my Z250 right out of the shop 2 months ago, And I seen the artic cat sitting in there, it was really nice looking, but it all depends what you want, I mean the KFX 400 and the Z400 are the same thing, You just pick the color you want and your good, I've seen the (LE) z400, It's really nice looking also.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

well personally i wouldnt trade it for anything...the feel, the comfort, the power...all fit me perfectly...great wheelieing and jumping quad...i could care less if its a few mphs slower than the other bigger bored quads...it puts up a good fight and is lighter than alot of them...and as for colors...you can get either a black or red tank...and pretty much any color fenders you want...stock the fenders come in red or green...but there are after market ones in alot of other colors, and even chrome, carbon fiber, smoked chrome, and chromish colors....thats about all i can think to say...any other ???s just ask