Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson- Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson- Auto or Manual?

I have been looking at buying a new ATV and I am definitely going to get a Vinson. My brothers keep telling me not to get an automatic because they have a lot of problems with the belt stretching and slipping. What is your experience?
My younger brother works at the local suzuki Dealer and he took me back to the shop the other day and showed me a TPeak that was one week old and the belt was stretched a little on it. They were waiting on the tool to remove the belt drive and the owner was not a happy camper. Does the Vinson have the same set up as the TPeak? I know the TPeak is actually a Kawasaki so I was just wondering if they have any belt related problems?
I just joined this forum and I look forward to talking to the knowledgeable people here.

Thanks
John

Old 06-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

Belt problems come with any Auto ATV. Though there isn't near as much problems with them like there used to be. It isn't anything to worry about anymore. As with the manual Vinson, stay away from it, there are a ton of problems with it. There is a link somewhere if I can find it with the problems they have. Go with the Auto, you'll be a lot happier.

Old 06-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with the manual, it will be alot faster because the belt gobbles horse power like a V-8 and gas. THe man., is the way to go, plus you can toe better. To be specific the belt system plus drive shaft take about 10-15% of your power. So take that off of the the stock hp and with a 30hp machine you are looking at 25 hp after the belt. with the manual its not nearly as bad, plus with the manual youll be able to whole shot like a mother.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

He is wanting a Utility ATV, what is the point in trying to be blazing fast? I just rode a Vinson Auto and it has plenty of power, though at first it lagged some. Search for my Tin Peaks, Arctic Cat 500, Vinson test ride thread. I did a long detailed review on the test riding and stuff. I'm just trying to help you here, but please don't get the Vinson manual there are quite a bit of problems with that thing.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the link with the manual issues: Vinson manual problems

Old 06-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Range Rover

I would definitely go with the manual. My brother has two eigers, an auto and a manual. The manual is way more fun to ride, and rides/accells/keeps speed so much better than the auto. I would pick the manual over the auto anyday. If the Vinson is anything like the Eiger, I'd do the same.

Also, remember the number one reason for atv forums seems to be to complain about them. I'm not saying the problems aren't real, it's just something to take into consideration.

Old 06-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

Sure the problems are real, they aren't going to just make up stuff, go to the link, it sounds to me like they know what they're talking about. I just don't see why you would want to take the risk when a bunch of people are having these transmission problems.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

What if you had a list of all the Honda (car) owners that ever had engine problems. Would that extensive list mean that Honda had crappy engines? No, it means that you are not examining the data correctly. You need to look at percentages, not lists of failures. What if there were 100 failures? Sounds bad unless you find out that 20,000 DIDN'T have the problem. Would a 0.5% failure rate be significant?

Old 06-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't say they were crappy, why take the chance though? 100 out of 20,000? Who says the one you get won't be one of the 100 that have the problems that aren't easy to fix? It is your choice though, I just gave my answer to the question.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

all the guys at the nation, have problems, talk to blackice, and nonstop, they have seen alot of them

Quick Reply: Vinson- Auto or Manual?