Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Twist VS. Thumb

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist VS. Thumb

When I first switched to a twister, climbing steep hills and navigating whoops was kinda hairy. Over time I learned how to keep my body properly positioned on the bike and now I like it much better than the old thumb. Whenever I'd run wide open for a while that thumb throttle would starts to wear my forearm out. I think it's more preference and the type of riding you do than one being better than the other.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default Twist VS. Thumb

Twist vs Thumb, the constant debate.

Well here is the way i see it, it depends on where and how you ride.

Where you ride is a huge factor.

If you are riding nothing but bush trails, and muddy situations, thumb is best. Imagine trying to get out of a mudhole with your big 4x4, with a twist throttle. It would be just a mess in offcamber situations. If you turn your bars alot then it will be hard to work with a twist throttle.

On the other hand if you ride alot of open fields, backroads, and dunes, you may like the twist better. You are more comfortable on long rides, especially at WOT.

Another major factor is how you ride.

Many riders like having the sensation of grabbing a handfull of throttle with the twist thorttle. I can see a twist throttle as practical in work situations, but blasting down some backroad, and grabbing a hand full of throttle is a great feeling for me.

Oh and as for bikes, i would never give up my twist throttle on my dirtbike.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twist VS. Thumb

now that ill agree to also i cant imagine rock climbing,or something slow and tedious with a twist throttle i would be screwed ,but then again i cant imagine rock climbing with my lt...lol

Old 06-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

Hey guys !
Well I can tell you my personal reason for" needing" twist throttle over thumb and it's
because with thumb I can't go 5 min, without my whole hand falling asleep or going numb
I have to stop and shake it off and then go over it all again. I found that using twist doesn't
cause me any problems at all ! It's just a learing process on how to keep yourself from getting killed in certain situations, I had it on my LT250R and plan on putting it on my LT500R
when I'm done getting the cosmetics finished on it. Some people have problems with one or the other and most will go to the one that doesn't cause them any problems so they can enjoy
a good ride in the woods without making a pain out of it. Hope this explains something !

Old 06-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Twist VS. Thumb

I to like them both, depending on the circumstances, here is where I think the advantages are for both.

Twist- racing, drag, 2-stroke, definately on bikes, personal preferance.

Thumb- trails, hill climbing, jumping a quad(personally), personal preferance.

It is just which one you react to better, everyone is diff.

Old 06-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

i have a twist right now, being a 2 wheeler before now, but i am going back to thumb. i took the bike out a rough mx track and the twist just wasn't cutting it, especaily when jumping. it could be that i have a turbo motion pro throttle. i didn't hear of 1/4 twists till after i bought the turbo. to get all the power, i would have to twist my wrist through it's full motion, to peg the throttle. not a good postion to be in hitting doubles. (although i cleared my first 40 ft with a quad.) i am going to try the thumb as soon as all the parts come in. we'll see what happens after that.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

Originally posted by: BIGGONE
Hey guys !
it's because with thumb I can't go 5 min, without my whole hand falling asleep or going numb
I have to stop and shake it off and then go over it all again.
dude if your hand goes numb after 5 minutes, it means your throttle is too tight, and maybe you need a new cable. All thumb throttles arent like that

Old 06-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Twist VS. Thumb

I've never ridden a quad with a twist throttle, only thumb, and I find myself constantly reaching around with my forefinger and grabbing the throttle from the backside on tight turns. I don't like it, but it seems the only way to mash the throttle on a really tight turn. I'd like to try a twist throttle, but every time I see someone in a bad wreck, it almost always involves someone holding the throttle back on a bad landing.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

Chewbacca.... I know what your saying but it's not the cable or the thumb trigger,
it's me, I forgot to mention I have carpotunnel in my hand, and twist seems to be the cure for
my hand & thumb cramping and falling asleep.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

i wouldnt put whoops, a quad, and a twist throttle together, but thats just me.

It also just wouldnt feel the same!

Quick Reply: Twist VS. Thumb