Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

HELP...metal in the oil on the Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...metal in the oil on the Z

I may have a problem, i just did my first oil change (break in) on my '04 Z400 and found alot of metal flake in the oil and the filter had alot of metal in it. it seems to be mostly aluminum, i know thier may be alittle with break in and all but i think this is excessive. Has anybody had this problem with the Z's. I called the dealer and they said bring the filter in and they will take a look, but I only have a six month warranty and this is making me worry alot. what do you all think?

Old 07-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There will always be some metal flakes during break in, but a whole lot doesn't sound to healthy.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

maybe you where a little too hard on it during the break in, ride it some more and change your oil...if you still get excessive metal then I recommend you take it to the dealer.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

also make sure you clean the air filter also, so u dont get metal flakes in your engine.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have had metal stuck to the drain plug on almost every oil change but not in the filter that I could see.Anyhow it has been going strong for 2 years without a mechanical failure (knock on wood). If it's still under warranty then I would take it to the dealer just to be safe.................

Old 07-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey 13inc how do you like your hotcams? Did they give you alot of power? I am about to put them in. Do you have both or just one hotcam.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

They seem to work well.I have both of them installed.I lost some on the bottom but not much.They definitely come on stronger though (you'll be into the limiter before you know it).A higher rev box would be nice.I'm debating on whether or not I'm going to leave them in due to the fact that I'm giving this quad to my wife(I'm wating on my '05 YFZ to get here 1st though).

Old 07-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

I had alot my 1st oil change, in the filter also. A little on the second and since then none, its been fine. I have had mine a year and a half.

Old 07-14-2004, 03:41 AM
Range Rover

Well guys thanks for you info, I don't think I was to hard on it during the break in, I didn't hold it wide open or run at same RPMs etc.
i'm going to Oregon Dunes, Coos bay in the morning for a couple days and when I get home I'll change the oil again and hope for better results.
thanks again the Zman