Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT250R Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT250R Noise

Hi, When my LT250 is at idle and the clutch is engaged in neutral it makes a vibration that can be felt through the bike. There is also a noise: like a light brrrrrrr. If I disengage the clutch (while still in neutral), the noise and the clunk go away. Also, even though my clutch cable is taut, the clutch does not completely disconnect the motor from the rest of the trans (the idle drops and the bike wants to "edge" up slightly). The edging and the idle drop only occur when the bike is in gear, obviously. Which makes me think that there is probably no deep tranny damage.

I opened up the right engine case and checked out the clutch. It seems like it has some fairly deep burrs in the clutch basket where the fiber (not metal) plates have been hitting the basket itself. So far that is all I can see that could be a possible problem. I wouldn't think that would be the source of the problem, though. Just a source for general worry. Any leads???

Also, where the hell can I get that "grabbit" tool the manual calls for? Any other tools I can use to get at that big locknut in the clutch?

Old 08-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT250R Noise

Sounds like your basket is grooved up and not letting the plates slide apart properly. If the grooves are nasty you'll likely need a new basket. Otherwise file them out and yull be laughing.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default LT250R Noise

Yeah, its pretty bad. Would that cause that idle vibration though? How could that happen???? My bike, with 13k, doesn't have a single sign of wear on the basket and its a 78. But I guess everything has its weak points.

I still need to find that "grabbit" tool. Anyone know where to get one cheap?

Old 08-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Range Rover
Default LT250R Noise

For the clutch nut just use an impact gun with a screw driver. It works fine. I do it all of the time. Just stick the driver between the basket and pressure plat in the grooves and hold on. As for the vibration how violent is it? Does the whole bike just really shake? Are you sure that it doesn't do it in gear? I know on my quad I keep snapping the balancer key and it instantly nmakes the quad vibrate violently. So if you get the basket off check the balancer to see if things are ok. A impact gun is your friend when taking these things apart.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT250R Noise

Ok, I'll try the impact wrench + screwdriver combo and see how it works. I'm not exactly sure if it does it in gear, because in gear with the clutch out means I'm moving and its harder to tell these things. But when I'm in neutral, with the clutch let out (engaged) and the motor running it makes that funny noise: but only at idle. Then while still in neutral, I pull in the clutch (disengaged) in and the noise goes away. I'll check the balancer. Later and thank you!