Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Serious Frame Damage - I Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Frame Damage - I Need Help!

Hey everyone. I just started tearing down my Z last night to get ready for ice racing this year. I have it to the frame, motor, radiator, and oil cooler. First things first, I have cracked both sides of my front shock mounts and have had them welded a couple of times. I am convinced that this was due to my front end clapping out becuase of the crappy stock shocks. I thought that was the extent of the damage, but apparently not.

After I had everything off the frame, I took a close look and found (3) more cracks....

The first one is the top motor mount. There is a mount that bolts to the top of each side of the frame, which then allows the top of the motor to mount to. That mount cracked right where is bolts to the frame. I think I can buy a replecment or make a new one.

The second one found was near the oil cooler. The frame cracked on the weld of the cross member near the oil cooler. I think I can grind that and reweld it. I also plan to gusset the front over the winter.

The third and most devistating crack was located right under the gas tank. The main frame the your gas tank rests on cracked completely through. I have no idea how the thing has stayed together. It is severaly rusted, therefore convincing me that is happend a while ago.

I need your help. What are my options? Get a new frame ($$$$)? Weld this one up? My concern is how to weld the crack under the can tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....and yes, I have a set of aftermarket shocks coming. I know that all of these cracked formed because the front end kept clapping out. Please help guys....I need ideas.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

I'd try to find a cheap used stock or after market what ever you have money for and powder coat it

Old 11-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

hey rols, where is WI do you live? you race or just ride?

Old 11-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

Hey k7roz, what kind of riding do you do? Lots of jumping? just wondering becouse I wated till '04 to buy mine since they did have some frame issues with the '03s

Old 11-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

mine was the 3rd one in the state of WI...when they first came out. 95% of the time i'm on a track jumping, racing, and practicing. rarely do i do trail riding. i'm hittin' big jumps now, i have so much time and money in this thing, and my stock shocks just can't handle it. i've been too cheap to buy new shocks....now i've just learned the hard way. it sucks....i see a used frame on ebay...it's got some dents, but i just don't know.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

i live about 50miles west of madison i ride around there and race in boscobel

Old 11-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

I got a 03 z 400 I broke both of my frame tubes in half just above my upper shock mounts, and my brace that on the top of my motor. And my swing arm brake caliper holder. Mine was still under watt. and suzuki put me a new frame on for free. the upper motor mount i made a better one and bought a new swing arm. All this was done with stock shocks except the swing arm i had already put elka on when i done it. And i had my frame gusted at work with a tig welder.