Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

DIRT WHEELS BIG BORE SHOOTOUT

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIRT WHEELS BIG BORE SHOOTOUT

I just received the January '05 Dirt Wheels. It had a shootout between the KQ, BF and the SP700 EFI. The article was very telling. One item that jumped out at me is their comments concerning the SP800 that was not in the test. They reported that the difference between the SP700 EFI and the SP800 EFI acceration wise was minimal. They said that the bottom end is improved "SLIGHTLY" and the acceleration is increased "SOMEWHAT". They said that they didn't feel that the SP800 performed that much better than a SP700 EFI.

They placed my beloved BF third and called it "a bit top heavy". They also said thae power was too abrupt. They reported that it was easily the fastest of the three but in many instances the power was a henderance, not an advantage. They said it was a wheelie machine.

They gave second place to the SP700 EFI. They reported that it was easily the most plush of the bunch. They said it felt a little down on power compared to the KQ and the BF. They said in the sand it really felt down on power because of the weight and the engine mapping.

They gave first place to the KQ. All in all, I felt they were spot on about the characteristics of the KQ and the BF. I've never had any seat time on a SP700 EFI, just a regular SP700 so it's not fair for me to offer any kind of opinion on it. I felt they were a little too hard on the BF, but, I'm a Kawi homer so that's just my bias showing through. I have to admit they were honest, objective and accurate in this test.

They're going to compare the KQ to the P700 next. To me, that's the real test. That'll be an interesting test.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Range Rover

I too, felt like they were a little hard on the Brute. As far as top heavy and tippy, changing tires is the answer. I'm running C-Series Type 5 wheels with XTR's. The stock tires are terrible. I also read the article and they mentioned that the Brute was twitchy and that it vibrated at high speed. I think they said they felt vibration in the floor boards. Maybe I'm biased but I have never felt that the Brute was twitchy and I have never felt any vibration. I have had mine to 71MPH and between 50 to 60 many times and have never felt what they described. However, I'm not exactly sure what they mean by twitchy(tippy or what). Of course I only had the stock tires on for 3 weeks. If your looking for a soft plushy ride the Brute is not you. I have never riden the Polaris 700 but I have riden the KQ. I think the both quads are awsome, but have some different characteristics that appeal to different peope. After several hours on a friends KQ I am totally satisfied with purchasing the Brute. The more I ride it the more I like. Of course DW was hard on their first review of the Brute.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thats interesting, I guess ill have to go and get that issue cause ive been waiting for someone to do a shoot out between the bf and kq. I am suprised they ranked the sp700 ahead of the bf though, the p700 has always beat the sportsman in the shootouts, is the tipiness of the bf that bad? as far as the abrupt power though I just cant see that as too much of a problem, the one i rode you could feed the power as delicate as you want, afterall, a beginner isnt going to buy one of these anyway. comparison between the kq and p700 should be a good one though.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

DW sure like to contridic themselves. In there Nov issue with the 800 they said "man this thing is fast" it gets from corner to corner much quicker then the 700. Now they say there's not much difference. If there is not much difference, then why not use that in the shootout. This shootout was the shootout of the big bores yet they leave out the 800. I think they were scared that a Polaris might just win one so they left it out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I want to see a shootout of the 3 big bores.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

I did not think the tippiness of the Brute was all that bad initially. However, the wheels and tires did make a good difference. I went from a well moded Rubicon to a BF. I'll take the BF any day. Personal opinion. Don't want to offend anyone. The abrupt power DW mentioned is there if you want it. You just have to practice good throttle control. I can ride as fast as I want or as slow as I want with no surprises. I for one like the power and the sensation its gives. I agree with you GE. Why did they leave the 800 out?

Old 11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Same old Same old They will wait until late spring to test all the big bores. This will give Suzuki a chance to sell all the KQ's that they can before then. That way they will get the most out of thier advertisement dollar.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a new KQ and dont regret my purchase for a second over the other two tested ATVs.

I stopped buying Dumb Wheels MANY years ago.They have been WRONG with their statements SO many times,it makes you wonder HOW they have a single customer?

Old 11-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

cam650, why did u sell the brute if u dont mind me asking?

Old 11-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Because I'm flighty!! LOL!!!

I got this insatiable itch to have a quad with EFI and had to scratch it.....

Old 11-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

good enough reason for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], you think it was worth it? is the efi that big of an improvment over carbs?

Quick Reply: DIRT WHEELS BIG BORE SHOOTOUT