Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

This KQ low end/throttle thing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This KQ low end/throttle thing

Did it do this from only a dead stop? Low speed low on? Or at all speeds?

Old 11-27-2004, 04:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

No actual lag time for my belt to engage.My belt grabs instantly,however,from a stand still to a full open throttle,the quad feels like it is a little''doggy'' until it reaches about 7mph.Than once the speedo reads 7mph,its like a turbo charger just kicked in.

Bill

Old 11-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Range Rover

11\27\2004

Hi Folks,

Here are my thoughts after 36 hours of riding in Florida and West Virginia..

My KQ had some hesitation on takeoff from idle... Two different things seem to be combining to cause this... First the Engine management system seems to have a little lag in the throttle input after idle. It almost acts like a stumble, this has become smoother as time has past. (Engine breakin?) The Second is the the Primary drive between the Engine and Tranny... When new the primary had a deffinant lag in engagement. With the machine in gear (High, Low or Reverse.) when you applied throttle the engine RPM would come up and then suddenly engage. Between the two events it was very ennoying.... The tranny engagement has also improved over time and appears to get even better after the KQ has warmed up to full operating temp.

Although the KQ is under full warrenty I'm hesitent to take it in until I have at least a hundred hours on it. If it continues to improve fine, if not I will take it in.

The bike runs well other than the above items. My Nephew was able to wheely the KQ over about 100 yards of rough field with no problem and after a 4 quad length start I was able to run down his Griz within about 150 yards. So power and handling is there. Like everyone else I'm just annoyed by the hesitation on a bike that should be as smooth as silk for the price I paid.... :-)

Later,

Hibrass

Old 11-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

probably that first year production flaw

Old 11-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Jaybee...this is what I think. I believe ALL the King Quads out there have this issue, if you want to call it an issue. I have a feeling Suzuki designed the bike this way on purpose. Maybe for liability issues, who knows. I think the difference between those who say they have it and those who say they don't is the seat of the pants feel. For instance, if I get off my older Honda Rubicon then the KQ feels great. Almost doesn't feel as if there is a lag. When I get on the KQ after riding my 450r...okay yes...big difference. Now I notice the lack of bottom end dramatically. Some of us are used to riding quads where there is NO lag present at all. Therefore the KQ feels as if it is hesitating which I believe it is. But don't worry...its not a problem. Aftermarket companies will surely have a solution for this as they always do.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

I somewhat disagree.. I know that my wife's Ozark 250 has a lack of power because well, its a 250 but nobody would get on it and say there is a hesitation. I understand the power difference between the Brute and KQ and at least on mine there is no hesitation. The reacton time I hit the throttle to the tires spinning is the same as my p650. (doesnt mean the tires are spinning as fast though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Griz and BigBang have no hesitation, which should indicate that this is a fixable problem. I too, don't expect a single cylinder 700 to have the bottom end punch of a V-twin, but the "lag" that I experienced was very noticable - basically a non-response for a fraction of a second.

Any other thoughts on this?

Jaybee

Old 11-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I guess I need to clarify. Grizz I understand what you mean and you are right. It really isnt a "lag" or actual "hesitation". The wheels do start moving as soon as throttle is applied. So in essence the machine does engage as soon as we hit the throttle. The problem is the manner in which the power is delivered...which again isn't a "problem" when Suzuki did this on purpose. Manufacturers do this because of the buyers out there who simply want the biggest engine available, yet may have never driven any form of ATV or motorcycle. This way Suzuki is less likely to be held accountable for building machines that are "uncontrollable" for novcies. Remember Honda and the 80s? I don't want to offend anyone or anyone's machine but I honestly think we all have the same characteristics on our bikes. True some may be a little faster than others but I think this is the way the KQ was designed. It's all how we perceive the feeling.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

To clarify even more. Some claim that there machine has tons of low end and power is not a problem on the bottom. I say the power delivery could be better. So then a lot of buyers are holding back waiting for Suzuki to fix this, when in reality our machines are the same. Here is why I say this. I recently rode another KQ whose owner said his KQ has all the low end he could ever want. He also claimed wheelies are easily accomplished and torque absence was not an issue on his. Well for some reason when I rode his KQ it felt the same as mine. Yes exactly the same. He rode mine and didn't understand why I felt mine was lacking bottom end. I am even lighter than he was. Again it is how we perceive this. This issue will be beaten to death...people just need to remember that we all ride differently and enjoy different characteristics of our ATVs. And that is a great thing!

Old 11-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. I'm used to the power delivery from a TP700 and a BF. Comparatively, the KQ is severely lacking, no matter what you hear. If you're not used to a BF, them I'm sure that the KQ's low end is perfectly sufficient.

Quick Reply: This KQ low end/throttle thing