Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic or manual?

Thats why I have both a z and and eiger auto

Old 12-31-2004, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Ive always liked the autos because im in the right gear at the right time all the time. My bikes do alot of work, but they also do alot of trail riding. Quite often they are borrowed which is convienient for the rider, maybe if I get a shifter people will stop asking.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Both are good and IMO neither has an advantage over the other...it's really just a trade off.

Now as for my modded Acura RSX-S...it's a dream shifting through all 6 gears on my way up to 160 mph. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2005, 01:27 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

I am curious about your own testing between the auto and the 5 speed Vinson. You said the auto would beat the 5-speed

However-

Dirtwheels Magazine ran a comparison between the two models in their January 1993 issue, and they were very clear about how the 5-speed would smoke the auto in every acceleration test they could think of.

On page 186 they wrote: "While we liked the sporty feel of the auto, the new five-speed is quite a step up from that. As we put both machines through the ringer in our test comparison in the Georgia woods, we soon found that the newest Vinson was much quicker and faster than it's fully automatic transmission companion."

On the same page, Dirtwheels wrote ""This advantage is evident whenever you match the two machines heads up in a race. Whether you were in low or high range, the five-speed transmission Vinson would always pull the lead ahead of the auto version and then out-accelerate it throuh each gear range"

As far as my own testing went, I raced my Vinny 5-spd against my buddy's '04 Grizzly...if I started in first gear, he would indeed blow me away because my tires spun while his hooked up. But if I started the race in second gear, it was a very close race all the way to about 50, where the extra 160cc's let him pull ahead of me

How did you end up with such different results?

Old 01-01-2005, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Texas,

I heard and read the same thing. I think his friend may have missed a few gears or something?

Old 01-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nope, we ran them three times, and he also took off in second gear once to see if it ran better tht way and it helped a bit. But its just flat out faster trust me,. He does weigh more than me so that may have a bit to do with it, like about 50 lbs on me. But i raced him from about 10 bike lengths behind him and let him get the jump and i could nerly catch him, I literaly had to let off of it so I wouldnt run him over. Im being dead serious when i tel you this, its just quicker, no faster, but a lot quicker, and they are both 03's.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:49 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

well, I would certainly keep out of your way....sounds like you're riding one baaaad **** of a Vinson!

All kidding aside, do you think your friend didn't know how to race or rapidly shift his quad to make it a competitive race (not a slam on your buddy...some folks really don't know what they are doing) or do you think your quad is an (exceptional) exception to the comparison/evaluation done by DirtWheels?

Not meaning to be a smart@ss here, just genuinely curious as to how your results were so drastically different

Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

We will run them again this week and see what goes on, honestly we had just gotten them when we raced them and he may be realy used to it now, but trust me he knows how to ride, not saying hes a pro by no means but hes a lot better than i would be. Im not going to say my auto is an exception, but it was plain as day how much faster mine was than his. Im not here to start any crap between an auto and a stick, but it was faster, and i will race him again and again to make sure of it.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Manual! it will be more fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Manual is more fun and I think it is better because if your going in rough terrian you can get alot of power in the lower gears.

Quick Reply: Automatic or manual?