Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

flipped rims????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flipped rims????

i hear alot of people saying they flip there rims so the bike gets wider or something can someone give me info on that thanx.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default flipped rims????

Depeding on the make model year wheel size and what kind of brakes you have depends on if you can do this or not. On alot of bikes the valve stem will hit the brake. If this occours you will need to dismount the tire, pull out the old stem, plug old hole, I like to use a metal stem and install it in backwards to seal the hole. Then locate the spot on the opposite side of the wheel and drill a new hole for the valve stem.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Range Rover
Default flipped rims????

yeah but you have to change the valve stems over to the other side or they will hit your brake calipers, and drill new valve stem holes and fill the old ones.Its the same as getting off set wheels (which are made to be that way). take care

Old 01-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default flipped rims????

in mudding we do that so we can go on the outside of the ruts and get more traction

Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default flipped rims????

i flipped my stock rims. added 2" width. def. improved the ride!

Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default flipped rims????

DON'T start drilling holes. The EASIEST and I think best way to do this is, buy some flush valve stems. You can get them for about $20 at JCWhitney (Pack of 4). All you have to do is replace the old ones. You don't have to worry about plugging any holes, which may leak later or drilling holes in your rims. Yes it is a cheap way of widening your quad a little bit, but the bump stear gets a little worse. I've also heard a lot of people say that it will wear out your bearings faster, but I've had mine like that over a year and no problems so far.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default flipped rims????

I disagree, go ahead and drill a new hole, as long as you drill it to the right size you won't have any problems. As for leaks, why would the method I mention leak? It won't, I worked for Goodyear for nine years and my dad has worked for them over 30years. So I'll go out on a limb here and say that I know what I am talking about. Though it would be less work to just by wheel spacers or offset wheels. This will cause bearings to wear out a little faster but unless you go really extreme you shouldn't notice to much premature bearing wear.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default flipped rims????

I guess either method would work just as well. Just seems logical to me that if you have more holes in your rims there is more of a chance in having leaks around the valve stems. Plus when you put the valve stem in backwards in the original hole isn't the pressure pushing the stem the opposite way it was designed to have pressure on it?

Old 01-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default flipped rims????

brockz how do you like your wheel spacers? I want to find a cheap way to widen my quad a few inches, I have the offset wheels already, now I need some spacers. Do you have those black ones that thread onto the studs? That's what I'm looking to buy.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default flipped rims????

Yes, those are the kind I have. They've held up very well, surprisingly. I only got the "1.5 on each side because I was pretty nervous about them at first. I do jump a lot too, nothing big though.

Quick Reply: flipped rims????