Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

eiger stalled in water problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005 | 02:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default eiger stalled in water problem

yesterday my eiger stalled in a creek. the water was right below the seat. it did not get into the air intake at the top of the seat. i checked the intake and the box was completely dry. why would it stall in this amount of water? Maybe the spark plug? What can i do to make sure that i can make it through the deep stuff? i was going and then just lost power and it died. i pulled it out with a truck. it took about 30 minutes to start again, and smoke came out of exhaust for about 10 minutes. now it runs just fine, but i realy dont want this to happen again. anyhelp would be appreciated.

Old 01-31-2005 | 05:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Youre probably on the right track. Take a spray bottle of water, and while the motor is idleing, get the spark plug and the wire good. If it starts missing or dies, you ll know what to fix.
Put dielectric grease, on the spark plug cap, and porcilin of the plug. Then look over the other connectors, and separate them, put in some of the same grease and hook them back up.
If the motor spit out alot of white smoke, when it restarted...water got into the combustion chamber somehow. Did it come up the tail pipe? This is usually what happens when the motor is shut off, in water. The running motor will keep the water out of the exhaust.

Old 01-31-2005 | 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Eiger187, theres the help your looking for.
Welcome to the forums!

Old 01-31-2005 | 07:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I didnt turn off the engine. I was cruising through and it just died. i kept cranking it, but it would sputter and die out. how would the water get into the engine if it doesn't get through the intake? i had just entered the creek and 4 seconds later........dead. i went into the water pretty hard, but i would not imagine this happening.

Old 01-31-2005 | 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Ahhh crap, It may of died from water getting into the exhaust, DONT EVR START YOUR ENGINE IN WATER!!!!! when u start it after it dies you let ALL the water in your crankcase

Old 02-01-2005 | 02:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eiger187
I didnt turn off the engine. I was cruising through and it just died. i kept cranking it, but it would sputter and die out. how would the water get into the engine if it doesn't get through the intake? i had just entered the creek and 4 seconds later........dead. i went into the water pretty hard, but i would not imagine this happening.
I didnt mean for it to sound like you turned it off. I just meant, if the motor dies( whether with the key, kill switch or stall), and the pressure out the exhaust stops...water comes in. If the motor stopped with the exhaust valve open, then theres a very good chance water got in this way.

Old 02-01-2005 | 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

The water may have shorted yer plug. the smoke is from the water in the exhaust. If ya got water in the motor you wouldn't be getting any smoke cause you prolly would have ruined it. Water doesn't compress like gas/air mixture does. The first thing you should have done was to pull the plug and turn the motor over. (this would have dried out the boot too)

Old 02-01-2005 | 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

LOL the smoke is normal when the engine is hot, it hits water and steam(smoke) comes up LOL just from the exhaust LMFAO

Old 02-01-2005 | 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

dont freaken matter whether its on or not!!!!!

Old 02-01-2005 | 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Its always easier to find someone from Indiana on this forum than it is to find a place to ride.
Evansville, home of the Purple Aces!

Quick Reply: eiger stalled in water problem