Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Twin Peaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Peaks

I've posted quite a few threads here lately trying to figure out what utility ATV would be best for me. It's almost starting to get frustrating because every time I think I have it nailed, I read something else about some other quad that I like. I've bumped from a Rubicon, Kodiak 450, a King Quad, etc, etc. There is just too many choices and too many opinions. I just happened to pick up an earlier issue of Dirt Wheels that I had and read about a shootout between the big bore 4x4's. The Kawasaki Prairie/Suzuki Twin Peaks was the hands down winner. Crap, I'm back to the drawing board. I don't want to get rid of my banshee, because I still go to the dunes, but it sounds like these quads have alot of power. However, I want a nice smooth ride as well like you get with the IRS and the Twin Peaks has a SRA. Dirt Wheels rated the suspension as the best in the shootout, but I thought the IRS always had the better ride characteristics. It's looking like the Twin Peaks may be the best for both worlds for me because I'd like something I could take to the dunes and not get totally smoked, yet have a good ride and power out at the farm. If anyone can tell me about the ride and power/speed these things have I would "greatly" appreciate it because I think I may have found what I'm looking for! Sorry for the long post.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin Peaks

well let me tell you what i think i was a die hard honda fan said id never have an auto or liquid cooled atv. one day a buddy of mine came out to go riding he left his 700 prarie for me to ride for a few days i was sceptical at first, but the more i rode it the beter i liked it. now that i own a twin peaks i hate to get on anything else, cause they all feel like power wheel toys to me now. i used to be the slowest and most often stuck (Honda 300 2wd) but now i am the fastest (67 mph so far) and boy do i like the mud better now. one of my buddys asked me the other day if i liked my CJ7 lol. he rode mine twice and he is going looking this spring for something like mine. as far as power i love it, hills are no problem give it gas and go. only problem ive had so far was a small coolant leak at the thermostate, fixed myself by tightening two clamps other than that i love it, but my 300 is always there just in case[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] its not the most fuel efficient but boy will it fly. well i hope this helps you decide.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin Peaks

Thanks for the info. I'm still not 100% yet, but I'm getting closer. I really like the looks of the King Quad, but I'm too nervous about the reverse problems. I don't want to buy one and then they fix the problem the next model year and I have a quad that ain't worth a helluva lot. By the way, how do you like the ride of the Twin Peaks?

Old 02-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Peaks

The twin peaks rides great. It is the best jumping and best power sliding sport utility if you loose the stick tires and ket aftermarket front springs. The KQ rides smoother and takes rough and uneven terrain better. The KQ is the second best handling of the sport utility quads. Suzuki will stand behind the reverse problem, so I wouldn't worry. The problem has only happened to a rare small percentage of people. My friend has a KQ and he just loves to ride it. I love to ride it too and I try to ride his every chance I get.

The twin peaks is a really good choice for some reasons too. You can't beat the v-twin takeoff. And there are very cheap power modules out for it to give it even more umph. There is a guy here that has a website full of repair and performance tips for the Prairie/Twin Peaks. That can't be bad for Twin Peaks owners.

The KQ steers easier has better ground clearance, starts easier in the cold, better 4x4 actuator, smoother engine braking, better able to rock crawl due to the wet clutch, quieter transmission, diff lock stays locked when you hop off and push with one hand.

You decide man. Neither one is a bad choice.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Peaks

Straggler99,

Have you took either of these for a test spin yet? You can read reviews until you are blue in the face but until you try them out you will never know for sure. I'm sure you'll be happy with either but if it were me I'd get the KQ just for the extra features you get. Right now I own a Vinson and am happy with it and am holding out for the 06 model KQ hoping all the bugs will be worked out by then.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin Peaks

only thing i dont like is the way the frt end dives in corners but i hear that you can buy a set of springs to fix

Old 02-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Peaks

I have the progressive springs. The diving is gone, and didn't sacrifice ride. Handles great.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default Twin Peaks

can you tell me where to get them and what is the price thanks id like to buy a set for my bike

Old 02-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Peaks

A friend gave me mine, but you should be able to find them all over the placem like highlifter or rockymountainatv or denniskirk

Old 02-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin Peaks

I have a KQ and my brother has a TwinPeak and he would love to get rid of his and get the real King. But that is our opinion

Quick Reply: Twin Peaks