Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Twin Peaks Overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Peaks Overheating?

Yesterday we were on the trails and my buddies brand new 700 TP was running hot. Fan was working and coolant is full? It was muddy but there was not really any mud at all in the radiator. Fan ran for 5 minutes after he shut it off. What could it be?

Old 04-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem, make sure the radiator is always cleaned after each time you ride, and don't use a high presure washer you could wreck the fins. Also I added Water Wetter a coolant addative helps keep it a few degrees cooler. never had a problem since.
The Prairie and Peaks Vtwin when NEW runs hot and does get better after 150 miles on it hope this helps always check the Kawasaki forum for Prairie info later

Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

Check your jetting.

I just went out for my first spring ride this weekend to find out i am running rich. We went 105km 65 miles and went through 50 liters/ 13 gallons of fuel. It was very hard riding but what a difference when the jetting was off.

It is normal for the fan to run when hot even when shut off, some members have wired a manual shut off switch but I just let it run as nothing is harmend.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Did the fan just run or did you get a warning light on the temp? If the fan was just running then it was doing it's job. The fan kicks on and off at a specific temperature. I'm not sure if the sensor is in the fan/thermostat/seperate sensor. Until the water near the sensor drops to that temp the fan is going to run until then. On mine if the fan is running I let it idle until the fan shuts off before I kill the motor.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

It will produce extra heat when it is new and being broken in. During breakin, avoid high RPMs, but give it a lot of gas in the low and midrange RPMs. Never baby it.

Water wetter helps reduce microbubble size and increases collapsibility. This helps hot water cool better. Hot water does not make as good of a coolant as other things like npg+.

A holeshot mudule will reduce the fan running. Maybe even a 4 degree key on top of that will reduce it more. The timing is reduced on the prairie to reduce power, reduce fuel economy, and increase engine heat. You could fix all those at once with an aftermarket CDI and not bother with the offset key.

Some people wrap the front pipe with heat tape.

What these guys said about cleaning the rad is very important.