ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   89 lt250s problem (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/199577-89-lt250s-problem.html)

deepa 04-12-2005 05:43 PM

89 lt250s problem

I just bought a 89 250s from my academic advisor for 1500 bucks. Was it a good deal? I think so due to a nice rebuild on the motor.

My headlight is pretty dim when the QUAD (DIDNT MEAN TO HIT ANYONES GSPOT!!!) is idling or even revving, but when i pull in the clutch cable, it brightenes up for a second like it should look like, then dims right back out.

What could be my problem? I have NO IDEA how this is happeneing. Maybe the clutch cable is rubbing against the regulator or cdi unit or something? Can someone help me?

Also, even thou its a fresh rebuild, it smokes a little bit at startup. I dont think he replaced the valves, so could they be the culprit?

OH, and the fuel line discenigrated in my hand. Does anyone know where to pick up a new one?

thanks,
Mike

ZillaPheen 04-12-2005 06:37 PM

89 lt250s problem

Well Mike from what you are saying it sure sounds like to me that you havent got a clue about atv's. First off an lt250r should never be called a trike and you should be banned from working or even riding it for that matter [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

deepa 04-12-2005 06:42 PM

89 lt250s problem

hahahah i didnt even realize it. I have an honda 85 200s 3 wheeler, and im in the process of restoring it, so its what came to mind instead of quad. So shoot me.

Im sorry i hit a rough spot with you because i called it a trike. I'll make sure i know what happened before i suggest you be banned from working/riding anything you own because you made a simple typo. I hope this isnt how these boards are.

Well, If anyone can help me out, that would be fantastic. If you dont like me because i like both trikes and quads, then sorry.

Thanks,
Mike

Scooter86 04-12-2005 06:50 PM

89 lt250s problem

Actually, he has a quadsport there Zilla. At least my Qracer is valveless and pretty much smokes whenever it is running! I have no idea about your headlight. A little smoke on start up might warrant looking into, but I think that is pretty common for that engine. Does it burn any oil?

deepa 04-12-2005 06:55 PM

89 lt250s problem

Ive only had it since friday, and had it out for a few hours at most. I am just working on getting it in nice shape when i take it up to my girlfriend's parents 11 acres in Maine. Just a few noticable problems is the smoking and the headlight. I took care of the idling problem with a nice carb cleaning. The pilot jet was quite clogged, you couldnt even see through it.

Another thing. When i took the slide out of the carb, it was all black. I know that the last owner had the oil drain get ripped out and needed a rebuild, but why would the slide be covered in black stuff? I took fine grade emery paper and cleaned it up nice, and i want to see if itll come back. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Thanks for the replies so far,
Mike

submakr 04-13-2005 11:36 PM

89 lt250s problem

Mike,

Some smoke is normal for 2 strokes. What ratio do you mix to? I run 40:1 in all my 2 stokes and have never had a problem. I use Golden Spectro. I have no idea why the slide is black. Is it black on both sides? I wouldn't use emery cloth on it. The slide has a polished finish for airflow. I am sure some carb cleaner would work. Check the condition of the air filter. You can get the fuel line at any auto parts store. I would take the cover off on the left side of the engine. Remove the flywheel (you will need a flywheel tool form Suzuki) and check the condition of the stator. Is it all rusted up?. Clean it up real good. Hopefully your light will be bright again. Get yourself a manual. It will really help you out!!

Good luck,

Trent

submakr 04-13-2005 11:39 PM

89 lt250s problem

Does he have a Quadsport or a Quadracer?????

deepa 04-14-2005 02:02 AM

89 lt250s problem

its a quadsport, so its a 4 stroke. I already emery'd it up, with the finest stuff i could find, and carb cleaner didnt touch it. I scrubbed it with a cloth and carb cleaner, and nothing, so i just lightly sanded the slide.

I'll have to get that flywheel puller and see whats up

ExplicitSound 04-14-2005 09:55 AM

89 lt250s problem

That black coating on the slide was put there by the manufacture of the carb. It allows the slide to move easier inside the carb. I also believe it offers some kind of protection for the slide.

DavidLT250S 04-25-2005 08:23 PM

89 lt250s problem

when you are driving is the headlight just dim or totally out?