Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Installing a kickstart on Z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a kickstart on Z?

Hey could you install a kick start on a Z400 and remove the starter and battery. I think it would be cool to have one? Can you buy one?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did the DRZ400 dirtbike that the Z's motor is based on have a kick or electric?
If it does have a kick then it's a possibility that you could make it work.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

If you have enough time and money you can pretty much do anything. Question is why??
I had a Mojave with kick start. Said many things while kicking it over, "cool" was never one of them.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL GLDIVER! Even on the mighty 450R, I would be willing to bet that 90+% of owners will be letting a few choice words fly sooner or later. Actually, I've already seen it happen. Now a kicker to back up the e-start, that could be a good thing.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

A kick start on a Z would be like putting a rotary dial on your cell phone..... What's the point? Brused shins? The weight savings could be negated by a 3 mph head wind. And if your battery takes a crap on you just jamb it in second and push start it! You could have someone pull start you but then you have to accept all the BS. I've pulled a few polaris's with my Eiger and made them sign and date the tow strap... That really pisses them off!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

you can have the kick start, I have problems using a kickstart never enough leg kick to start it

Old 04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GLDIVER
I've pulled a few polaris's with my Eiger and made them sign and date the tow strap... That really pisses them off!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
lol

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my memory is correct, I think there were 3 bikes that used a variation of this motor (2 dirt and one trail) and at least one did have a kickstart. In fact, electric start may have been an option on one of them.

This may sound crazy but I'm actually a fan of kick starters on pure performance machines. I'm not sure why, I guess I'm just old fashioned. I'm a descent sized guy and I've never had trouble firing up one of my Zilla's or lt250r's. Actually, the hardest quad I have to kick start is my little 230 qsport. Sometimes when those little buggers are warmed up and you shut the engine off, they can be a bear to start back up. But suprisingly mine fires right up when it's cold with a little choke action. Even though I like kick starters, I'm still considering getting a Goki electric start kit for my qsport just to be different.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

well it would be a lot of work to make it a kickstart,have to change alot to make it kick forward.maybe you should just wait and buy the new 450 in aug,its going to be kickstart

Old 04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious, but how do you know the new 450 will both be out in August and have a kickstarter?

Quick Reply: Installing a kickstart on Z?