Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

eiger auto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eiger auto?

Hi guys,

Sorry to post a worn out topic but I've done a few searches and I still don't have my answer so here goes.

I'm looking to buy a new Eiger (I"m also looking at 400 Kodiak) and I'm trying to decide between auto and manual. I'd like to get the auto for ease of use but I'm nervous about the load and water issues I read about. I'll pull some weight but likely not more than 1000 lbs. I'll go into some water, but nothing extreme. I need to be able to cross ditches with 18" or so of water and maybe go down a mucky trail 12" deep for 100 yards or so.

I'd like to hear from auto users to hear about thier experiences in water and with loads. Any advice would be appreciated. Also please post your mileage and rate this machines reliability with 1-10.

Thanks guys

Old 04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default eiger auto?

Welcome to the forums.
There are alot of us , who at first were leary of buying an auto. I think it has to do with bad experiences with snowmobiles, which have similar belt systems. But once we buy them, its pretty rare for someone to say they wish they hadnt.
They have come along way, and any of the newer ones, will keep dry, in the conditions you describe.
I have a 450 kodiak, and have had it in water up to the headlights, and havent had any slippage.
If you get a belt drive, it helps for towing if it has a low range, the kodiak 400 doesnt have a low range, but its still rated at the same towing capacity of my 450.
The suzuki and yamaha belt drives are different from the kawasaki and polaris belt drives...they use a centrifical clutch, so the belt doesnt go slack, in order to idle in gear. This saves alot of wear and tear on the belt drive.
Just go with your preference...if you want auto, get it.

Old 04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default eiger auto?

Thanks for the input Hondabuster,

The Suzuki dealership is right next door to a honda dealership so I made the mistake of going in. They are trying to clear out the 04s and have the 400at at 5175. This is just a few hundred off of the Eiger's price. But I'm still leaning towards the Suzuki. Mostly cause I don't like to join the "Honda's the only reliable brand" bandwagon. You can't beat the resale though.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default eiger auto?

Well, my brother-inlaw and I both have 03 Eigers Auto and find them to be fantastic.
Last year he flipped the bike end over end running about 40KM... needless to say I thought the bike
was going to be ruined... but... Flipped the bike back over and not a scratch on it.. had a little trouble starting
but once it was going she was working great...

With regards to pulling and hitting deep water.. I have no problems there at all...
I have a lot of faith in the Eiger and any obsctacle I see I confront without any problems...

So, buy that damn bike....lol

Old 04-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default eiger auto?

Do You know the honda has a totally different auto matic tranny ? Everyone but honda uses the cvt and belt drive, honda doesnt use a belt in any of them. They have different characteristics, and are very relialible. And youre right about the resale .If its possible...ask to test ride them. Id have a tough time deciding which id buy..especially if the honda was cheaper...because thats the whole point of the eiger...to be the cheapest 400 auto out there.
Its possible to own a honda and be an individual.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Range Rover
Default eiger auto?

Have the prices of the Eiger gone up? I was out the door on an 04 auto 4x4 a little over a year ago for just under $5k and if I remember right there were others who got even better deals.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Range Rover
Default eiger auto?

I bought two '05 Eiger Autos for $5100 ea. I've been extremely happy with them so far. My first auto transmission and I'm lovin' it. Never have to worry about which gear to be in.

They pull my 5x14 steel utility trailer (950# empty) around just fine. I think I read the tow rating is like 1050#... not positive on that tho. I use low range to be cautious, especially since they're still practically brand new.

Even without a diff locker in the front end... the limit slip has worked great the last couple trips out in the snow. Both fronts were pullin' in about 2ft deep.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default eiger auto?

Well looks like I won't be getting a Suzuki, though I had my heart set on one. The dealership here wouldn't deal. I test drove the Eiger and really liked it. Very quick and nimble. The low gear was very strong. We had an agreed upon price, the only problem was the price went up $200 from Wednesday to today (Saturday.) The Honda shop next door was willing to come down $1000 off of MSRP on the 400AT. I test drove it as well. Definately not as fast as the Eiger or as sporty. But the transmission felt great and was smooth as silk. The Suzuki shop couldn't come down $400. So it looks like I'll be driving a Honda 400 AT for about the same price as the Eiger. Oh well. Thanks for all the imput anyway.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Range Rover
Default eiger auto?

Enjoy. They're all fun.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default eiger auto?

Bought mine "hold over" for $4,500 auto.
My buddy just bought a "hold over' vincent for $5100.
You just have to keep looking!

We love our autos!

Quick Reply: eiger auto?