Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need a little help on KQ decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help on KQ decision

I need some help! I am having trouble making up my mind! I have an 04 AC 650 I like the power and its ability in the mud. I have had several little problems with it just anoying stuff(axle, belt RF filter,chokecable,front seal,plastics@475mi) and I really like the KQ. So between the two I am thinking hard about the KQ. This is where you all fit in. What do you guys think? Will I be happy with the KQ? I don't like the way you have to fight the AC, it steers and handles like a barge and now the front drive seal is leaking at the motor, just kinda the straw that broke that camels back! However I will not speak bad about AC it is a good machine just a little shy in the R&D program! my play to work ratio is 70/30 I have a tractor, so I just need it for hunting/firewood hauling on a cart and trail riding. I just ordered a new set of mudhook extrem in 26" and have not installed them yet, I'll leave teh goodeyears on the AC. How would that affect the power on the KQ? I want something fun to ride, not work at or on while I ride! THanks a bunch guys! Please understand I am not Bashing AC!

Old 05-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi AC,
Hard to say whether or not you will be happy with the KQ, but I bet you will like it better than the AC. I now have over 1100 miles of trail riding on mostly dry terrain ( SW Arizona) and am extremely happy with it with one exception. The owners manual says to check the belt at 600 miles and replace it at 1200 miles. Since coming home from AZ, I checked the belt width per the service manual. It measured 1.377" and the manual says replace if less than 1.40". Went to a dealer to buy one and found out that a new belt costs $190.05. Decided to use mine a little longer. I have two friends that I rode with in Arizona who bought KQ's about the same time I did (Late 2004) and their KQ's also have about the same mileage under the same riding conditions. All three of us are beginning to hear occasional belt slippage which indicates to me that it is near time for a belt change.

Prior to the KQ, I had a Prairie 650 and put 5500 miles on it and 4 belts. Other than that, I really liked the 650 and had hoped that the KQ would be easier on belts, but guess not.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

I can't say anything from first hand xp w/ the KQ. From what I've seen in the forums, I haven't seen a dissatisfied owner other than the reverse issue. Now concerning the MudHooks, I just put a set on my Vinson. The 500 has enough power for them so the 700 will definitely handle it. They are quite a heavy tire and are a little hard on the clutches but mine is a manual so I dunno how the auto tranny will deal w/ them, but it should be fine. I'll be posting a semi-review of the tires later in the tires forum. I think they'd make a helluva combination on the KQ. Good luck on your decision.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Range Rover

thanks for the info guys that is what I am looking for!

Old 05-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Trailblazer

love the kq. my last quad was a quadmaster 500 that sounds like your ac. a real workhorse but drove and rode like a school bus. the kq is just a pleasure to ride all day long. all my buds that have ridden it say that it handles much more like a sport quad than a big bore 4x4. i go down to the mtns of ky,tenn and wva to ride and i think this gets as extreme as the usa has to offer. so far the kq chews it up with no prob. never had any rev probs before or after the ecm update. getting real close to needing a new belt but im sure the aftermarket will soon have them much cheaper than stock. i can pull my three place aluminium trailer with the kq no prob but it doesnt take much tongue weight at all to squat the irs to the ground. would assume all irs to be this way. nature of the beast. i run 27 mudlites with no clutch or engine mods but i did add highlifter front springs. the stock quad felt like it wanted to roll a bit in corners as well as really sagging down when raising the snow plow. for $75 i think this was the best $ spent.good luck and safe riding!