Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Warm Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm Up

Hey, I have an 03 Eiger Auto 4x4 with about 2000Km on it and every time I start it up it takes a while for it to warm up.
I have to leave the choke on and running idle for about 15 min before I can take the choke off and start riding.
If I take the choke off the bike sputters and dies...

Also, when I floor the gas I get a delay in power, sounds like the engine revs up then kicks power to the tires... any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Old 05-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warm Up

First thing is change your spark plug, and do a maintenance cleaning on your air filter. Although your problem is probably not either one of these. Has the bike set for a long time w/ gas in it? Sounds like something has gotten fubar in the carb. Disassemble the carb and clean it out real good. You might have some varnish built up in the carb from gas sitting.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Warm Up

Once it gets up to temp...does it run ok then?If you have the choke on...does the hesitation still happen?
Some of this is pretty normal, lots of quads come with the idle mixture too lean, for emission purposes.
It really doesnt hurt anything to run with the choke on for awhile, its actually a starter jet, which adds more fuel when its pulled on. The airsteam isnt being choked, like the older carbs did. And after a few minutes, the motor will be warm enough to run with out the choke.
You could try going richer on the mixture screw, this will richen the idle mixture, and should do basicly the same thing that using the choke does. But if you go too rich, then when the motor warms up, youll have drivability symptoms of too rich at idle. I would think you could go up to 1/4 turn richer, and not cause much problems. Screw out for richer, screw in for leaner, and this will only effect idle and up to 1/8 throttle ,mixtures.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warm Up

I'm going to try what everyone is recommending... The bike does run well once it has been running.
Thanks for everything,

cheers