Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

king quad steering ease

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default king quad steering ease

I am looking for information on the steering ease of the king quad.I presently have polaris and use it on my ranch.The place is rough and i have to go extremely slow a lot of the time.I need irs for ease of riding and ground clearance.The polaris has done all i have ever asked of it but it is pretty heavy steering at slow speeds.I am talking about from almost stopped to walking speed.I have been looking at the kodiak 450 as a replacement as it has everything i need on it and gets a good vote on steering ease at low speeds.I remember reading sometime back that the king quad has easy steering and was wondering if anyone could make some comparisons between the polaris and the kodiak compared to the king quad.I know as far as engines this is an apples to oranges type deal but i can get a king quad for a couple of hundred dollars more than a kodiak within reasonable driving distance from where i live,however for all the benefits the king quad has over the kodiak it would not be worth it to me if the steering ease is not there.I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have ridden polaris sportsman 500, grizzly 660 and outlander 400 HO. I believe that the steering on the KQ is probably easier than them all. So, far my KQ has been good. No issues with anything but it is still relatively new. But I do not baby it.

Marsh

Old 06-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

The King is the easiest steering quad I have ever ridden. Infact it is too easy in my opinion, some guys are trying out some steering stabilizers off of sport quads to help this. If its ease of steering your looking for you wont be dissapointed in the king.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my questions.If anybody else has any experience feel free to reply, i need all the help i can get.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

I love the lighter steering on my KQ. I never feel that I'm fighting the steering to control it over rough terrain. I've ridden a buddies Kodiak on trails a few times and I prefer the steering geometry and feel of the KQ.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

turilla If you were stopped and then made a hard rt or left hand turn for a complete circle which do you feel would be the easiest--- the kodiak or king quad ?

Old 06-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

Honestly I'm more biased towards the KQ as I own one but I do feel the KQ steering is lighter and more managebale at low/no speeds. Lots of rockcrawling trails down here in the desert and the KQ is a lot easier to handle on the rough stuff, especially over my Polaris. I think the KQ has a slightly larger turning radius than the Kodiak but it is easier to turn and hold in the turn.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

turilla I appreciate the response.Sounds like this could be the quad for me.I don't get to have a new quad very often so have to get the best i can find at the time.I am getting older and don't like to fight heavy steering any more that i have to.Something you don't worry about when your younger!

Old 06-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

With the stock tires I found the light steering on the KQ to be a little too sensitive at times when at high speeds. I replaced the stockers with Kenda Bear Claws, the steering is just as responsive and easy with these new tires but that over-sensitivity at 60mph+ is gone. There was never any risk of control loss at the high speeds, the steering just sometimes felt almost over-responsive. Might have been just me though, my buddy who rode the KQ a few times never noticed it so it might just have been me getting used to the speed and handling of the unit.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

I agree, mine felt a little twitchy over 60 with the stock tires. It feels alot more stable with my mudlites or bighorns on.

Quick Reply: king quad steering ease