Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kick start stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kick start stuck.

Today i cleaned the carb of my zuki lt 230 quad.
Ran awsome untill it stalled. Whent to kick it over and it was like the engine siezed up.
I dissesembled the whole quad and took the engine apart to see what was up. Nothing else to do. The internals checked out and everything looks perfect. Turns over. I put the engine back together and found that the cam is cracked across the timming chain gear holes.
Would this be my problem?
Or is the kick start gears not meshing right..could that happen?
Where can i get a new cam?
Thanks, Mike

Old 06-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

dont think you'll find an aftermarket cam for that quad, so I would try either Ronnies mailorder or your local suzuki dealer. If that doesnt work, you can buy my 250s, rebuilt engine w/ a web cam [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

hey how much are you asking for ur 250s? and do you got any pics? o yah it might be your de-compressure

Old 06-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 80vwpickup
dont think you'll find an aftermarket cam for that quad, so I would try either Ronnies mailorder or your local suzuki dealer. If that doesnt work, you can buy my 250s, rebuilt engine w/ a web cam [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
what???
Are u saying the de-compression being disconnected would cause the kick shifter to be stuck.

Ive limmited my problem down to my miss essembling the kick start back together.
Are there anythings i need to know?
The gears and splines are binding when you try to move the kick start lever down. On the kick start assy. the trany is ok

Old 06-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

if your de-compresure is disconnected then the compression will be to high to kick start it

Old 06-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

the engine is on a bench. I can turn the engine over with a socket from the crank. The tranny goes through the gears. the problem is the 1st two gears that is atached to the kick start arnt meshing right. everything else is ok. the gears arnt worn out. I noticed alingment stamped marks in all the components that are giving me trouble. How dose it go together ive looked all over the net for a diagram.
The gear that is directly conected to the kick lever had a washer on both sides. And that gear would skip across the oposing gear. SO When everything is bolted in the case splined shaft into case and inner block case so it would be allinged the kick start gear skips on it.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Man I just went through this i have the factory service manual and it was still a P.I.T.A. What worked for me was to just think about how it works. One thing you can check out to make sure you have everything in the right order is Ronnies microfische. get the gear on the shaft coming out of the case I'm pretty sure there was a mark on gear as well as the shaft. As for the kickstarter itself I couldnt find a timming mark on mine, what we did was put the kickstarter where it should be when its closed and not in use then figured out where the gear should spline to it. If this doesnt help I can scan the manual and post some pics

Old 06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i took me a while to figure this out when i had mine apart too! there are small markers (slightly drilled spots) that need to line up for the kiker to work correctly. there is one on the kicker, on the shaft that goes through the case, and one on each of the gears. you can get a manual but it doesnt explain it too well.
good luck

Old 06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, i saw the marks on the gears but i still couldnt figure it out. I mean i could figure out how it works but... i may have screwed up somewere ill see tomarrow.
The kick start gets jamed up when i was putting it back together before.
Is there any parts in this assembly that could were down. But all looks to be okay.