Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400, Raptor, 450R Can't decide.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400, Raptor, 450R Can't decide.

I am getting ready to buy a sport quad, and I cannot decide. I really like the Z and that is what I'm leaning toward, but I like the Raptor as well. I can also get a 450R at a great price but I have to travel a couple hours to get which is no big deal for the savings. I know the Raptor has more power than the Z but are they enough difference between the 2. I don't plan on racing maybe some drag racing for fun with my buddies, only mods I will buy would be a pipe, rejett and filter. I was going to go with the 450R but I was worried about kickstarting it in the winter. Like I said it will be pretty much just a trail bike. All three great machines but which one. I currently ride a Grizzly 660 and just tired of the big ute and the auto as well. Have several years riding experience as well. So if you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

If you are woried about kickstarting the 450r in the winter don't be, my brother has one and he used it in the winter without problems and we live in alberta canada. It' s very fast, reliable and easy quad to ride, but it sounded like you would be trail riding alot so I would recommend buying the z400, it's an easy quad to ride, great power band and most importantly it has reverse to get you out of those nasty spots, but don't get me wrong, the 450r is a great trail machine as well and it would be my first choice if it had reverse.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

my two friends have raptors and i have the Z\KFX400. on trails you wont be able to notice the power differance. Personally i think the z handles better plus the suspension is a million times better. As for the 450r, the power is sweet but it suks not having reverse. Ide go with the Z. I love mine and wouldnt trade it for anytihing. Plus i hear that pipes do wonders for the Z, i just ordered mine the other day and cant ait to try it

Old 06-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

The Z is an awsome trail bike. And with mine just being done with break in im REALLY gonna hammer on it. (not like i havent already)

Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

yeah no ****. I "broke in" my Z easily too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i

Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had a raptor before my Z, no comparison to me...the raptor beats you to death and feels like its going to roll over on fast corners, the Z is a much better quad IMO.

That being said, im selling my almost brand new Z400 because i have to buy a new motor for my car. The quad is 1 month off the showroom floor with about 10 hours on it. Check my thread for details, but letting it go for a measly 5k....save yourself on the 6k dealer price PLUS tax and buy mine.

-Jeff

Old 06-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

this all depends on your riding style. And whether you want reverse or not. O like my z and iot handles better than my brother's rappy but my him and my other brother kick my *** all day racing. THe one with the raptor and the other has a 450r. Just remember on the tight trails you want reverse. But the 450r handles alot better than my z but not for long. Just do you research and if you can ride all three before making your decision. But if you are starting out go for the z power isn't everything if you can't handle it. Not trying to say that you can't handle power but the z was right for me because I am not to bid weighing in at only 145.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

raptor is almost too powerful for the trails.. but it has reverse. 450r doesn't got reverse.. and is not really made for trails.. but more for MX racing. z/kfx 400 is made for basically anything.. and has reverse. stock one will get you around 71-73 mph.. and its a great quad. plus its electric start.. and so is the raptor.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Even compared to thee two, the Z doesnt lack power. my buddy has a yfz and its bad 1**, but i still like my KFX/Z. Plus it sux waitnig for him to drag it out cause he has no reverse. All are great quads, id go with the Z but thats just my opinion

Old 06-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Z is only 2 days old and as I have never owned a quad before I have to say that some of you guys are crazy!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (joke)

You want MORE power . . . ?!!!

My impression of the Z as a novice is that it seems to leak power from every orifice!! There's just so much I can't often open it up for more than a few seconds. It's not even particularly fussy if I'm in the right gear or not, I just open it up and it pulls like a train! The trails around here are generally quite tight and twisty though.

Even after just two days I am starting to feel more comfortable on the Z. If it was a car I would call the handling predictable. It has yet to give me any nasty surprises, likewise under power and braking the quad seems stable all the time. How it compares with other quads I couldn't say of course, but as a novice sport rider with no experience of other machines I have absolutely no complaints with the Z. I'm in that dangerous zone now, where a little experience and familiarity can lead to tears. Have to keep remindng myself not to relax too much.

Stuart

Quick Reply: Z400, Raptor, 450R Can't decide.