Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Yoshi 450 - first ride impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yoshi 450 - first ride impressions

I just bought a quad today with the mods below. It runs real strong but needs some attention in a few areas. This has been my first chance to ride a fast quad since my DS650(in the signature) that I sold a year ago. It is definitely more responsive and accelerates effortlessly compared to the old DS but all out they would be neck and neck. The z450 might be a bit quicker since it gets off the line quicker.

Handling is awesome. I expected this with the +1 A-arms and wider axle along with elkas all around. Everything seemed a lot smoother than the stock z 400's that I have had and was even better than the long travele suspension on the DS. This is the first quad I have had that didn't buck real bad in the rear. The shocks are dialed in for a 180# rider and I come in about 150# so a little tuning would help even more here. I don't know jack about adjusting Elkas so I have some learning to do here. Steering was very precise and I could steer it better with the throttle than the handlebars. It responds immediately to throttle input, even in the higher gears, though not as dramatic. I thought with the wider and lower stance it would be very difficult to tip over when turning. Although it is much better than stock I did end up on two wheels a bit. I do ride HARD though.

The engine is about what I expected with the exception of the excellent throttle response. It is going to do great on the trails when we go down to the mountains in Ky. Power is great on the bottom end and the mid range is strong also. the top end was on par with everything else but it doesn't pull as hard as would like it to in the upper rpms. Drag races won't be its forte just yet. I think a Yoshi exhaust or Ct exhaust would be better matched along with a good port job, slightly larger valves, a good 5 angle valve job and possibly more aggressive cams. I wish I knew the specs on the cam especially the duration and overlap. I dont suspect it is too radical considering the low end it has. Right now I'm real happy with the engine power. The only downside is it has a 13:1 pistona nd 110 octane is $6.00. Maybe I will mix a 50/50 of 110 octane and 93.

The ugly. I expected the brakes to be great since this was raced by some known names on the racing circuit, or so I am told. The left front caliper must be FUBAR because the left tire wont lock up and it steers when braking. I hate bad brakes. I bled them to no avail and found grease on the disc ( how the He77 did that get there) I cleaned the disc and still didnt help. I think I will just replace the caliper before I head to the mountains. The starter spins and doesn't catch all the time. Is there a clutch in the starter??? With the 13:1 piston and probably no decompression on the cams it is tough to turn over sometimes. I spent the first hour trying to start and then pull start it. After the battery was charged in an hour it started everytime. Just a lot of turns sometimes before it would fire up. I need to add some lights for some night riding. The oversized radiator is huge and thick but doesn't have a fan on it anymore. I think the oversize will suffice as long as I keep it moving. At 88 dgrees today it seemed to keep its cool.

All in all I am very happy and hope it proves to be more reliable. It should be a blast for many a rides

1. ARSFX Plus one A-arms with Heavy Duty tie-rods

2. Elka triple rate compression, rebound, & ride height adjustable front shocks with piggyback rezzies.

2. Elka dual rate compression, rebound, & ride height adustable rear shock with remote rezzy. All shocks set up for a 180lb rider.

3. Elka long travel linkage.

4. Steel braided front and rear brake lines.

5. Plus one inch taller and 3/4 inch forward stem with anti-vibe top.

6. Oversized radiator

7. Oversized oil tank

8. Yoshimura 450 stroker kit with Yoshimura cams (new piston and rings two rides ago)

9. Dyna Rev box

10. 40mm FCR carb

11. 400ex (filter to carb) boot with 400ex clamp on air filter

12. White Brothers Race Pipe and Silencer

13. New Heavy Duty Timing chain

14. New Clutch Plates

15. Honda thumb throttle housing

16. Fast By Gast tether kill switch

17. Dominator Heavy Duty Axle

18. Heavy Duty axle locking nut

19. Dual row carrier, with accessable grease zert

20. Pro-Armor nerf-bars

21. Heavy Duty swingarm skid plate

22. Dual row foot peg extender with kick ups

23. Carbon fiber hood

24. Tag 1 1/8 inch oversize bars

25. Moose bark busters

26. RTC adjustable front brake lever

27. RTC adjust on the fly easy pull clutch lever

28. IMS oversize gas tank with quick fill dry break system

29. Hotwheels graphics

30. Flawless stock rims (used for spares only. they have almost no time on them)

31. Stock 450r Honda tires with 90% tread left

32. New Brake pads

33. Very well gusseted and powder coated frame, that has never been broke or cracked

34. RPM Plus 1 1/4 inch swingarm

Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice z man!

Old 09-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I thought it was pretty bad a$$ too until I read the thread in the bomb forum about the 87hp ds800. At least I can do more than go fast in a straight line.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

WHat is your jetting at?
I couldnt be more pleased with my yoshi motor

Old 09-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

I asked the guy I bought it from but he didn't know what size jet it had. I'll have to pull the bowl off and find out some day. Do you have the high comression piston? IF so, do you have any trouble starting it?

Old 09-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

This concerns me because they dont make high compresion for the 450 stroker kit. Yoshi does also make a 440 kit that can take a high compresion piston. I know this because when i had to order my kit they told me that they dont make a high comp. piston for the stroker kit. I have tried, its a special made piston for that kit.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting. maybe I need to look into this further. It may be a custom made but who knows, I'm out of the loop on this one. Does Yoshi only make a stroker kit? DO they make just a bore kit too?

By the way do you ride at Badlands much? I used to ride there with some guys from here when I had my DS650.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, they make two kits .... one is a 440 kit and they other is a 450 stroker.

AS for badlands, i ride there ..not very much though... I also ride at Haspin acres which is real close to you, and i ride at silverlakes.

Why you want to hook up?

Old 09-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

I ride at Haspin from time to time. I had a head on wreck there a few years back. Some young punk flying on a 400ex hit me and we flew over the handlebars barely missing each other. He was nice enough to say sorry before he hopped back on his bike and took off leaving me with my totalled polaris 400 sport. If I could have reached him I would've, well too late now. Let me know when you are going back up. I'll get a few guys together.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

murdr what sprocket sizes do you have on your z450 and what size razr2's? thanks

Quick Reply: Yoshi 450 - first ride impressions