Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet?

I agree with all of the above folks. I have purchased from Rocky Mountain ATV catelog. I first tried on several helmets at dealers and found the one that fit well and had the features I wanted, then did the price checking. It is amazing how prices vary for the same helmet from place to place.

I would also recommend a full motocross helmet for protection. I know it gets hot in the summer but I want to protect my chin and the half helmet does not do that at all. I just open the vents and let the airflow keep my a bit cooler.

Some things to consider when buying helmets are the fit. Are you going to wear a dewrag with the helmet? It may change the fit and size you purchase. Each make of helmet uses a different sizing model for their helmets. If you look at the Rocky Mountain ATV catalog you will see many manufacturers have a different size in inches for say a Large helmet than their competitors list.

I have had great luck with the HJC helmets. I own two of them. They fit well and are rated with both SNELL and DOT. I wear a face mask in the winter so I have a bigger one for that.

I also use the quick release accessory for my goggles. I like them much better than using a strap. If I don't want to wear goggles for part of the trip I can put them around the back of the helmet and attach them that way. I also use a quick release clip for my helmet strap. Much easier to fasten the helmet with gloves on than trying to loop it through the rings.

I am a big proponant of wearing a helmet at all times. I have had my life saved by a helmet on three seperate occassions. The funny thing is that all three times occurred during easy rides. I don't pay as close attention to what I am doing on an "easy" ride. I am sight seeing and so forth. The only time I ride without one is hunting season where I have to wear "hunter Orange" on my head. I have not found an orange helmet that fits yet and have not looked into the skins available for them yet. Other than that I always wear one when I hit the trails. I have issues with those who do not wear helmets, get in an accident and then the news makes a big deal about how dangerous ATVs are and use that case as an example of how people get hurt. If they wore a helmet they would not have had those serious head injuries! I guess enough, I will get off my soap box on that.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

Utah,

great response, thank you. I will visit both of those websites and take a look around. I also like your idea of going to the dealers and finding the one that you want and then go price shopping with them and the internet. I really don't want to "chince" hear but also don't want to spend $500. Can you get a GREAT helmet with the vents and features for the $199 range that I see advertised so often??

Old 10-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Helmet?

Yes, I believe you can. I paid about $200 for mine. Make sure you get a model number as well. HJC for example has several different models. They look pretty much the same but the price is different for each of them. You need to compare apples to apples when pricing them. Rocky Mountain seems to have some good prices. It helps that they are semi local for me. The down side is I have to pay sales tax because we are located in the same state.

I have been told not to go cheap on helmets, the question being is how much is your brain worth? But, at the same time there is a point where the cost does not give you anything more than cool graphics than some of the "cheaper" models. I guess that is why I have done with a "midrange" priced helmet.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:53 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet?

I did the same thing as Utah, tried them on at a dealer and bought them online. Did the same thing for my wife and kids. I also bought HJC. They have both ratings and to me were the most comfortable and the prices were good. Remember, your head is a kinda important piece of your body so don't go cheap(quality) on the helmet!!

Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

Utah & LTZ, thanks to both of you! I am on HJC's website right now and the helmets look good. I know it is going to totally be my pref on the fit (after trying them on at a store) but just out of curiosity, which model did you guys get?

Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet?

I have the CLX-4 Fuel.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Range Rover
Default Helmet?

I have a CL-X4 Fuel and a CL-X4 Vapor. Both of them are in the silver and black graphics.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

I also have a hjc helmet, i like it allot, best fit for my head from the ones i tried on

Old 10-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Helmet?

I went to the HJC website and I like those 2 that you guys have. I also like the AC-X3 (color MC-5)....looks like it is about $199 or so.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Helmet?

I BOUGHT AN HJC. THEY HAVE REALLY GOOD PRICES. MINE WAS $70. THEIR PRICES GO UP TO I THINK ABOUT $300 THOUGH. I LOVE MINE, IM REALLY HAPPY WITH IT. ITS FITS GREAT, ITS COMFORTABLE, AND MOST IMPORTANT ITS GREAT QUALITY. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR HELP, GO TO DENNISKIRK.COM THEY HAVE SIZE CHARTS TO HELP YOU AND THEIR PRICES ARE GREAT AND THEY HAVE EVERYTHING YOU COULD POSSIBLE LOOK FOR. BEST OF ALL THEY HAVE SAME DAY SHIPPING (DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU LIVE) AND FREE SHIPPING ON $100 OR MORE ORDERS. HIGHLY RECCOMEND

Quick Reply: Helmet?