Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Storing for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing for the winter

Hey, Soon i am going to store my Z400 for the winter. I was just wondering if there are any special things to do before i do store it. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Store it? You dont have anywhere to ride? Man that sucks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Add some fuel stabilizer or something. Make sure the tank is FULL. ummm. Maybe put the battery on a trickle charger or something.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it was me.......I'd either have the remaining gas in the tank be premium(93 octane)........or else I'd drain the tank. Might be a better idea to just drain the tank......and the carb......so you don't end up with a gummed up carb(really sucks)....

I'd just remove the battery, and sit it on a board somewhere.....don't sit directly on concrete........

If you have jack stands.......it wouldn't hurt to set it up on them......keeps it off the ground, and allows the front suspension to rest anyway......

I don't know about your area.......but in my areas......you'll probably want to throw some rat/mouse posion out......they will make a huge mess of electrical items if they get in there.......

Old 10-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

shame you're gonna store it, best riding is in the winter. I'm getting psyched b/c ATV season is just starting.

Anyway, just want to second the rat poison idea. I had a rats nest under my seat and they chewed up the electical wires.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

thats why I live in phx you can ride all year and the winter time is the best

Old 10-21-2005, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

i normally store mine from november-feb...just start it up be it in the garage or shed every few weeks so it doesnt have the chance to get all cruddy.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar, but different problem. Winter is our big desert (sport bike) riding season here in the southwest, but in summer the desert is to hot to ride, so my sport bikes sit much of the summer (except for an occasional trip to Oregon Dunes or Pismo). In the summer, we ride the utes in the cool mountains, but utes are just plain lame for fast desert riding, so my utes sit little used all winter.

What I do is run Klotz Octane Booster (1 oz./gal.), all the time. It's inexpensive and has a fuel preservative (good for 1 year) so I never have to worry about doing anything special for storage, and the slight boost in octane (+2) is insurance against detonation.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

Pour fuel stabilizer in the tank and run the engine for a few minutes to get the stuff in the carb. OR pour fuel stabilizer in the tank, turn fuel valve off and empty the carb dry.
Keep your battery inside if its below freezing point outside. And charge it once or twice during the winter.
I personnaly put a plastic bag inside the air intake (inside the airbox) and over the muffler hole to keep any animals and bugs outta there. And rat poison is a great idea too.
Other than that: clean and wax.
Grease all your seals and bearings(using your grease nipples)

Im getting used to this with the SeaDoo!!

Old 10-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
If it was me.......I'd either have the remaining gas in the tank be premium(93 octane)........or else I'd drain the tank. Might be a better idea to just drain the tank......and the carb......so you don't end up with a gummed up carb(really sucks)....

I'd just remove the battery, and sit it on a board somewhere.....don't sit directly on concrete........

If you have jack stands.......it wouldn't hurt to set it up on them......keeps it off the ground, and allows the front suspension to rest anyway......

I don't know about your area.......but in my areas......you'll probably want to throw some rat/mouse posion out......they will make a huge mess of electrical items if they get in there.......

The battery on concrete thing is a myth.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Wood acts as an insulator,no electrolisys to seep in....

Quick Reply: Storing for the winter