Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005 | 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

Originally posted by: counterpunch
kawiking, i wouldn't take this kind of advice from someone who desn't have any expierience with this. in fact, he doesn even own a quad.

before you make your descision, wait until someone with a lowering kit replies.
I have had experience with lowering kits. I know what it is used for and what the advatages and disadvantages are for having the kit. Ask anybody with a lowering kit and they'll say the same thing I did. Just because I don't own a quad doesn't mean I don't have any knowledge at all. So don't go around passing on unknown information that to me I see no purpose of you worrying about and spreading. So back off.

PS: What's your answer to this question? I bet it would be very close, if not exactly, like my answer.

Old 11-22-2005 | 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

Im not saying your info isn't there, i'm just saying he should wait for someone with a lowering kit to reply because they would have the most expierience.

Lowering kits are made for flat track/TT racing, but im not telling him what are the pros and cons because i don't have expierience with them.

P.S. how do you have expierience with lowering kits if you've never owned a quad to put one on?

Old 11-22-2005 | 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

Originally posted by: counterpunch
Im not saying your info isn't there, i'm just saying he should wait for someone with a lowering kit to reply because they would have the most expierience.

Lowering kits are made for flat track/TT racing, but im not telling him what are the pros and cons because i don't have expierience with them.

P.S. how do you have expierience with lowering kits if you've never owned a quad to put one on?
I've ridden a lowered 2005 TRX400 (customed). It sucked ***** on jumps. I did some jumps and it was very rough if you don't land flat as possible. It is easier to take off the line, but in the trails, it really sucked big *****. He runs hoosier tires and if he went to trail riding, it would be too low, bad tires, and too wide.

Old 11-22-2005 | 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

Ask '2manytoys' on this forum. He has a lowered Predator 500 and races flat track. PM him and he'll tell you exactly what I told you.

Old 11-22-2005 | 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

Mark, like I said, your info was there but you didn't have a quad with a lowering kit.

What do you not understand. I'm just saying that he should wait for someone with a lowered quad to respond.

Old 11-22-2005 | 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

I put a set of banshee shocks on the front of my Z for flattrack racing. Banshee shocks take some moding to make them work.
With the front end lowered It corners a lot better and the front end doesnt come up as quick. The ride isnt very good. When I go trail /dune riding I put the stock shocks back on.

Old 11-22-2005 | 05:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

Hey witti, so that's the setup you're using for Bob's track eh? Sounds like its working well.

Counterpunch, you've got an excellent point. However, your point would be better made in another thread, since Mark is pretty much right about this one.

Lowering kits are, by design, supposed to limit the effectiveness and range of the suspension. The change in shock angles dramatically changes spring rates and adversely affects all handling but high speed cornering or straight line runs on flat surfaces. I've ran them in the trails, while the lower ride height is nice the poor handling pretty much eliminates the net gain. They are terrible through whoops and are a quick way to bend up front suspension when you find a high rock in the trail. Not to mention the concerns when jumping. Depending on the type of kit you get, that's where your suspension will break. Top mount lowering kit (durablue style), upper shock mount will ripp off the frame. Lower shock mount kit, (cfm/ebay style), busted lower a arm shock mount. This is a result of the angles the shocks are moved to. The top mount makes them more vertical while the lower mount makes them more horizontal. They will take some jumping abuse, but it would only be a matter of time.

Old 11-22-2005 | 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

Originally posted by: maddog56
Hey witti, so that's the setup you're using for Bob's track eh? Sounds like its working well.

Counterpunch, you've got an excellent point. However, your point would be better made in another thread, since Mark is pretty much right about this one.

Lowering kits are, by design, supposed to limit the effectiveness and range of the suspension. The change in shock angles dramatically changes spring rates and adversely affects all handling but high speed cornering or straight line runs on flat surfaces. I've ran them in the trails, while the lower ride height is nice the poor handling pretty much eliminates the net gain. They are terrible through whoops and are a quick way to bend up front suspension when you find a high rock in the trail. Not to mention the concerns when jumping. Depending on the type of kit you get, that's where your suspension will break. Top mount lowering kit (durablue style), upper shock mount will ripp off the frame. Lower shock mount kit, (cfm/ebay style), busted lower a arm shock mount. This is a result of the angles the shocks are moved to. The top mount makes them more vertical while the lower mount makes them more horizontal. They will take some jumping abuse, but it would only be a matter of time.
Mr. Smarty know it all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2005 | 11:41 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

thank you " all " for your input!! i think ive talked my self out of them,to risky!!!

Old 11-23-2005 | 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default lowering kit

Yes, works pretty good for the front. I still have to lower the rear. You going to check out Bobs next year?

Quick Reply: lowering kit