Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 at St. Anthony's

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 at St. Anthony's

I want to ride at all the big dunes. Have been to Glamis, Dumont, Oregon Dunes, and Little Sahara in Utah. I was so disappointed in the performance of the Z at Ltl. Sahara even though I had rejetted to a 122 it ran so powerless. I played with taking the air box lid off, choking etc. to no luck. My husband had similar problems with his 400 EX. I want to go to St. Anthony's but not if I am going to repeat this performance. The Z is stock except for K&N Filter and Outerwear. I can climb easily all the dunes at Glamis and Dumont but of course I am at sea level. Anyone ridden at St. Anthony's or Little Sahara with same equipped Z? Think Sand Mtn. in Utah might have similar results as it is at about 5000'. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Oregon and so have decided not to repipe because they are so sticky about decibel level at the Oregon dunes, besides the Z does great on all the hills here. Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

I have fone to LS in Utah many times and I make it up Sand Mountain there no problem. I have heard that the dunes in ID are some of the biggest and best but you should have no problem there. You will have to let me know we will join you for a trip. Check out www.dunereview.com it is an outstanding duning site!

Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: suzukisusie
I want to ride at all the big dunes. Have been to Glamis, Dumont, Oregon Dunes, and Little Sahara in Utah. I was so disappointed in the performance of the Z at Ltl. Sahara even though I had rejetted to a 122 it ran so powerless. I played with taking the air box lid off, choking etc. to no luck. My husband had similar problems with his 400 EX. I want to go to St. Anthony's but not if I am going to repeat this performance. The Z is stock except for K&N Filter and Outerwear. I can climb easily all the dunes at Glamis and Dumont but of course I am at sea level. Anyone ridden at St. Anthony's or Little Sahara with same equipped Z? Think Sand Mtn. in Utah might have similar results as it is at about 5000'. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Oregon and so have decided not to repipe because they are so sticky about decibel level at the Oregon dunes, besides the Z does great on all the hills here. Thanks for any advice.
I would guess you were runnin too rich at the higher altitude. I don't know what your stock needle is, but if you went up to a 122 (which sounds small to me, but I'm not familiar with the Z) when you rejetted with just the K&N, then you were probably borderline rich then. Maybe rejet back to stock jetting, but take a couple other sizes with you just in case you need to rejet on the fly.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

With my exhaust and intake, no airbox lid I run a 147...

Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

We have a Z400 and ride pretty much exclusively at St Anthony. Been to some other dunes like Dumont and those hills were easy in comparison. Your Z really needs a pipe and then matched jetting to be pulling the big Idaho dunes, but even the way you are set up you will be able to get around everywhere and have a ball, you just won't go straight up the biggest ones.

Our Z has a (bad) DG pipe, K&N and jetted properly, and it will just baaaaaarely pull Choke Cherry hill with me on it at 195 pounds. Your 400EX probably won't make it up that one unless it's juiced up some and/or your husband is like 150 pounds.

Warning: One trip to St Anthony and it will mess you up for life, you'll plan your year around an annual trip there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The elevation there is right at 5000 feet.