Vinnie Frame Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinnie Frame Repairs

Greetings all!
Back ground....
Nov 04 (Veterans day) I flipped my 03 vinnie over on myself while going uphill. Broke a rib and blew out my left knee. After I healed I took off the front plastic and rack. (Bumber under the front was pretty well bent all to crap. Front rack bent too) I replaced the bumper ($130+ from the dealer) I didn't get a new rack on or even try to put the old one on. New bumper is a bit of a tight fit as some holes are about 1/2 off from where they should be, But I force it backtogether. Alls pretty good eh?
Update, Nov 05 (Also vereran's day) I'm in a wash sliding sideways and the rt front tire hits opposing embankment (I do a header but am otherwise uninjured) Rt front tire is hitting rt floor board, I pull the plastic off and tire appears to be 4" off (towards the rear) and the tire is about 1.5" away from the foot peg frame. I limp it home, remove all front plastic and see that my frame is pretty darn tweaked (Ok it's bent in a few places).
Question(s)....
1. What are my options for repairs?
2. Is it possible to use a torche to bent the frame back with out causing the frame to be further weakened?
3. If #2 is plausible, can the frame be reinforced?
4. Is it cost prohibitive to replace the frame?
5. What are any other options I should consider?
I ask these questions because even though I own the bike outright (yea!) I only have just over 100 hours on the bike. I can provide detailed photos if need there is interest....
Ok last item, Insurance? Yes I do but only for theft. (sigh)
Any help would be apprecieated

Old 12-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, you can weld it. It may take some time to get it back to the right geometry but that can be accomplished with a frame machine set up. I would reccommend that any of the bent tubes be straightened, cracks welded then sleeved with an additional piece of tubing which needs to be structural tubing...not just a piece of pipe. If you try to heat it and bend it it will weaken if not supported by gussets and or sleeves. Anything can be reinforced. I am not sure of a replacement frame price.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Great question. A similar thing happened to me with my Eiger. My left side, hub to hub, is 1.25 inches shorter than my right side, hub to hub. (Is this a lot?). I'm not sure what I should do to mine. Great post, I look forward to hearing a lot of opinions on your predicament.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

I would take the quad to a car frame straightening shop and have them pull it back into shape. Once it's straight again, I would have a welder install supports/gussets in the areas that were bent and pulled straight so they aren't weaker than normal.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

if you can post some pics of the frame this is a pretty interesting topic

Old 12-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll get the bike out tomorrow after it warms up a bit, I'll take a dozen or so pics and post them. If anybody out there is so inclined to DL them and point out other potential damage, you can enbed them into Powerpoint add arrows or circles and save it as a Jpeg to point out damage you think I might be missing, I'd be happy.
Thanks!

Old 12-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

#1 and most important: Don't ever go riding on Veterans Day again!!! LOL

When I bought a Foreman, the previous owner had hit a boulder with tht left front suspension (frame was actually twisted). I disassembled the entire front end and used a portapower and a few chains, which worked quite well. When I traded it in, they checked it over, and couldn't detect anything wrong with it.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah no kiddin![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took a few pics and have em' ready. ANyone know how to get them in the thread?

Old 12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

porta-power

if you end up doing the bending yourself,,,,,i recommend you buy a portapower

it makes the hard stuff really easy,,,,you may even be able to bend it back with out all the dissassembly

i got mine for $69 from HF,,,,,,,handy tool to have

Quick Reply: Vinnie Frame Repairs