Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

HELP! KQ Tires Mudd-LIte vs. 589 M/S

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! KQ Tires Mudd-LIte vs. 589 M/S

Help please! You guy's out there are great but I just can't seem to make up my mind. Ive been trying to do my own research but im not getting very far. Mudd-Lite vs. 589 M/S my KQ is still stock and thought this would be a good starting point. To make along story short, I can't decide on 26's vs. 27's with the stock height. I have suzuki aftermarket front & rear bumpers. (tire clearance) width front 9,s vs. 10,s and rear 10,s vs. 12,s. In time a pipe, clutch kit, aftermarket air filter (STOCK SUCKS) waiting for someone to come out with the best ignition/fuel mod.
Can somebody please give me some help!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Old 12-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

I just put mudlite 26x10x12, 26x12x12 on my king quad. On black type 4 itp rims. I love them, what a difference over stock. I didn't notice any great power loss, i'm not a mudder, just a trial rider. I can't wait to try them in the snow.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Regor, thanks for the information. They were my first choice, but when I heard they wear down fast, that had me looking at the 589 M/S. It did not look like they had those in the front 26x10x12, rear 26x12x12. Have you heard anything about these tires? Your pics look great, in Illinois we do not have places like that to ride. Looks like a lot of fun!

Old 12-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

Hey Greg, try this site, i got a great price............http://store.wspisp.net/xopco/Search...Mud+Lite+Tires I've heard that they wear a little faster, but i haven't really talked to anybody personally. I went with them because of the weight's. They really ride smooth on the trail too, i thought they would be rough.

Old 12-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

I like the mud lites but would go for the xtr radial as the mud lite did wear down fast but they work well. I like the 589 but have not run them, I did run gators that are similar for agressiveness but it waws too much tire for the trail I ride.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have 26" XTRs on type 6 ITP rims. Like them alot so far. Pretty good in the snow. Got mine from Dale Neathery on e-bay. Got a fair deal and he is good to deal with. He's got almost anything you might be interested in. Don't have to bid either if you don't want to. E-mail him and he will give you a good price.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got the 589's, they are very heavy with the type 7 rims. They are great in snow/mud, but I may switch back the stock rims/tires in the summer for trail riding. Loss of power has me a little dissapointed... It seems like I have added 100lbs.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, thanks guys for the info. Mudlites it is. Now to decide on 26's or 27's. I think 27's might be too tall with the stock suspension and the aftermarket Suzuki bumpers. If anyone has any input on the height clearance or powerloss let me know what you think. Thanks again! Is anyone of you running the Yoshi pipe?

Old 12-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know about clearing the Suzuki bumpers with 27's but I have 27" Mudlites and have no clearance problems with fenders or suspension. As far as power loss I feel like I lost some of the punch at midrange but most of my riding is in tight woods trails so I am less concerned about flat out acceleration.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, it sure didn't take much to sway your decision. I put 26" 589s on my Eiger and I DID notice a little bit of power loss, but that's to be expected since they are larger in diameter and have a lot more traction. It's WAYYY harder to spin the tires. DUH. BUT, the power loss was minimal compared to the benefits. Tread wear is exceptional, never heard a single complaint on this entire board, unbelievable traction, and they are virtually indestructable.

Compare the weights of the NON-RADIAL Mudlites to the 589s. Sure, the LITEs are lighter, but by how much? A couple of lbs per tire. BIG DEAL. As though that's going to make a significant difference. Besides, the DIAMETER is what robbs your power, not the weight of the tires. Rotating mass will affect how fast your tires come up to speed, but, at speed, they are also more resistant to slowing down. Basic physics, called inertia. It always amazes me the wives tales and misinformation I read on this board. When I was wheeling full sized rigs (3 Jeep CJs and a Toyota pickup) I NEVER EVEN ONCE heard someone say "I'm not getting those Super Swamper Boggers because they are just too heavy". It was always a matter of tire SIZE, not mass. I couldn't run anything over 35's because my gearing was too high. My friend Dan Pratt has 38" bias ply Micky Thompsons on his SUZUKI SAMURAI (stock engine with a Weber carb) and he does great because he has dual transfer cases and 5.29 gears. Weight was never a consideration.

I would talk to more than 2 people before I decided something as important as Mudlites vs 589s. You might be buying new Mudlites in half as long as new 589s.

Quick Reply: HELP! KQ Tires Mudd-LIte vs. 589 M/S