Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad battery help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad battery help

Originally posted by: SEVENKMAN
trying to find a dry cell battery to replace the stocker in my KQ, something like the yellow, or red top that you can buy for you truck, or car, any ideas? thanks.
Odyssey offers dry cell batteries for most Suzuki ATVs, but not the KQ:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/appl...attery.htm#atv

You might consider contacting them to determine if they have an existing product that will work or if they plan to produce a specific battery for the KQ.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

thanks i'll see what I can find out, something close in size might work. Ryan.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 06 King Quad 700. I'm having trouble with a battery going dead in 3 weeks. I charged it then did the current draw test. It starts out at 20 mA then after 5 seconds drops to 7 mA and that is as low as it will go, even after half hour. I know spec is maximum 2.6mA. I unhooked the CDI box under the seat and my draw drops to 1mA, which is acceptable. I know I will need a CDI box but my question is what is a normal draw on one of these quads?

Old 03-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

It's not the cdi box, the IAC valve gets battery power all the time and when that is unhooked the draw does down to book spec. I work at a multi line dealer and just came back from a one day school. Couple options, disconect battery, pull main fuse (by the starter solenoid) or install a battery tender.

They are currenty working on a solution for this problem

Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is it possible to install a switch to kill the IAP valve circuit when in storage???

Also as a theft deterrent .
If so any idea on the wire color/location???

Old 05-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hondabuster

This is the down side to EFI. If the battery runs down, it wont start.

Have you had the battery load tested? Two days on the trickle charger, should be more than enough time for it to recharge, no matter how run down it was. It might be shot. The instument panel shouldn't be that much of a drain on a good battery, but could do in a marginal battery.

Or, you could jump start from your car or truck, and let the quad recharge it. Just remember the donor vehicle needs to be off, when boosting. That way, it wont provide more than 12.6 volts.</end quote></div>

FYI, the King Quad does NOT need the battery to run. The first pull of the rope to charge the CDI, and the second pull will start. Believe me, I have done it with the battery completely removed from the machine. You need to make sure you get the engine just past TDC on compression stroke before you give the rope a yank, or you will swear you have torn your fingers off your hand.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had two King Quads for 2 years and have replaced the batteries each year. After the first year I tendered them on and off throughout the winter and rode them as well. Tendering the batteries was not enough it seemed because the batteries still gave up the ghost.

I sovled the continual battery draw problem by installing a toggle switch adjacent to the positive battery terminal, wiring it in to the positive side of the battery with couple of connectors and 10 gauge primary wire and continuing the connection to silenoid.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

The King Quad comes equipped with a AGM battery, the same kind as Odyssey.
For that matter the KQ battery has a higher AH rating than the eqivalent Odyssey!
Trouble starts when the shop selling the machuine does not follow the factory preparation guidelines for the battery and treats it like a regular lead/acid battery.

An AGM battery requires the electrolyte be put in and the battery LET SIT for a couple of hours. Then charged at 2 amps for 9+ hours.
But dealerships usually don't have time for this, or they want it ready for the customer as soon as possible.
Shops usually have the least trained yokel put together new quads from the box and they want it done NOW. So bird brain usually dumps the electrolyte in and slaps it on a quick charger. This ruins the AGM battery. It works right away but it will not last.

Best thing a king quad owner with a wonky battery can do is take the battery out so that it has no load and charge it AT 2 AMPS for 10 hours. Then it might recover.
A trickle charger or battery tender won't do it. That's only good for maintaining a fully charged healthy battery. Running the bike won't do it. You need to externally charge the battery when it has no load.
There are no shortcuts.

My King Quad battery was properly prepared and I can let it sit over winter at sub freezing temperatures for months without a tender (not very smart I know) and it fires right up in the spring and the clock still has the right time.

If you got a wonky King Quad battery then don't buy your next one at the same shop. They will just do the same thing with your new one.

Remember: Put the electrolyte in.
LET IT SIT for a few hours.
Charge it 9-10 hours at 2 amps.
Then you have a good, in fact superior battery.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

The battery in my 10 month old King was about to bite the dust (wouldn't start the machine unless I kept a tender hooked up at all times), so I tried Glenlivet's advice. I removed the battery and charged it for about 7 hours at 2 amps on a manual charger. I put it back in the machine and let it sit for a few days before trying to start it. To my amazement, it was just like I had installed a new battery. It has only been a couple weeks, but there is no need for the tender or supplemental charging, just start the machine and go. It seems I was able to breathe new life into a battery I thought was junk. Oh yeah, it was one of the new Yuasa batteries that Suzuki uses now.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, I have two 2005 King Quad 700's and I'm starting to experience this problem as well. Is all I have to do is buy a new battery and just set it up properly. When I bought my machine, the next day this same thing happened and the dealership said they put in a new battery and that was the problem. Right before the problem begins, when you try to use the electric start, it makes a buzzing noise, not a clicking noise. Then a few more trys on the electric start, and the battery is completely dead. I try to charge it all of the way, then ride it for an hour, then it dies and can't ride it anymore. Is the best advice to just buy a new battery or do what was mentioned above. Thanks

Quick Reply: King Quad battery help