Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad doesn't want to start or idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad doesn't want to start or idle

I just bought a brand new King Quad EFI 700. One on my main reasons for choosing this model is the EFI--no choke, always starts and idles, etc. Well, the first time I was at Hollister Hills SVRA, it died when I came to a stop on the trail. And last night, just riding around my house, the darn thing didn't want to start for a long time. I probably cranked it 20 times before I got it to run and again it seemed like the idle was so low it wanted to die unless I kept giving it gas with the thumb throttle.

Anybody got any ideas?

Is this just break-in problems and it will go away with a few more hours?

For balance, I do love almost everything about the quad. The ride and handling are great and I love the power.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

mine stalled one or two times a little after breakin...but I NEVER had trouble starting it even in single digit temperatures, shouldn't do that. Take it to your dealer. You have to crank it 20 times!!?? Mine starts after 2 cranks when it's warm and 4 cranks when it's cold.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes. I tried and tried to get it to start and it took somewhere in the vicinity of 20 times to get it to stay lit.

Once it's running, it seems ready to go.

But if I let go of the gas and brake to a stop, the engine has died a few times on me.

I am sure I'll have to call my dealer and get it checked out.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

My King acted like that, could not get it started. I replaced the spark plug and it fired right off. NGK CR6E is the spark plug #. I'm not real impressed with the EFI on the King. It should start alot faster than what it does. Not cold weather starting, but cool weather starting, I have a little bit of trouble with mine. Hope this is some help.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:02 AM
Range Rover

Have them put a new ecm in... I had a bad one once, every time I hit a bump a pin must of disconnected or somthing internallt was loose in the computer and it would sputter and not run right, two minutes after a new ECM problem was gone! I've seen on the websites a number of ecm failures... so it might just be a bad ecm!

Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you allow the injector time to cycle before you hit the start button if you dont it can mess em up until you shut it off and try it again?

Old 02-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am learning a new skill set for starting my KingQuad. It probably is important to let the the fuel pump fully cycle before hitting the starter button.

I talked to the service manager at the dealership. He said to make sure the battery has a full charge. Last night before I charged the battery, the voltage was 12.5 volts. After charging overnight the voltage was 13.5 volts. Would that be enough of a difference to screw up the computer?

Old 02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Todd 12v should be all you need. Speaking from experience if I don't let the thing cycle when I turn the key on it starts harder and dosen't run well! Other than letting it cycle I run seafoam in my gas mixed per direction on the can. It displaces moisture adds a little octane, stabilizes the fuel and keeps things clean (injector) and running at peak! Maybe you have water in your fuel or it's old. Has it been sitting for a while? I know the king dont like low grade fuel! why would it - it's a king lol

Old 02-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I let mine cycle thru every time before hitting the start button. I have 290 miles on my machine and this is when it started being tempermental on starting to where it would not start. I changed the plug and it started right off. I ran an octane booster thru the machine once and I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have any starting problems but I am wondering about something else. When I get down close to the motor on the left side where the oil fill hole is, there seems to be a knock, it sounds rather loud too, I can also hear it vibrating so it hard to hear exactly what is making a noise so loud.
But I know this is a big single and I've heard they have a sound of their own, but this is the only big single I've heard so I don't know if this is normal or not. So are you guys hearing a knocking sound at idle? Is it normal?

Quick Reply: King Quad doesn't want to start or idle