Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Bracket for your GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2000, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you have GPS I, II or III that will fit nicely into this little bracket I made. Hope this works when I down load the darn thing. A tinsmith made mine out of stainless steel but you can probably do the same in mild steel. It just won't be as durable. But since most of us don't have the resources to cut stainless, it's best to use the standard steel. I riveted mine to the top crossbar on my KING, and used plastic ties to tie each side of the bracket to the bar with one rivet in the center hole. Line the inside of the bracket with double back tape to help hold your GPS. Last, a small dog collar around the left handlebar, with the GPS strap attached in the event you and the quad should become separated during a moving catastrophe. Good luck.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Sorry guys! It didn't work. Try again later...

Old 11-10-2000, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garmin makes a handlebar mounting system consisting of two plastic brackets; one bracket is fastened to the handlebar with rubber-lined, hinged, half-circle plastic pieces and a screw; the other is fastened to the GPS II-series receiver back with a single screw. The receiver and its bracket snap into the bracket mounted on the handlebar. Works o.k.; the setup is a lot more robust than it looks (I think it was designed for touring bicycles or maybe cruiser motorcycles, not off-road machines like dirt bikes or ATV's).

Aside from a convenient way to carry the GPS receiver, a handlebar bracket doesn't appear all that useful to me because when under way, I find the screen hard to read, especially over rough terrain. Since I have to stop to read the screen anyway, a pocket carry isn't all that inconvenient.

Tree Farmer

Old 11-10-2000, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know why your bracket failed, ecorman1; if the receiver fell from the bracket during high-G maneuvers, you might want to exploit the threaded brass hole in the middle of the back of the receiver, screwing the receiver to the bracket to hold it in.

Tree Farmer

Old 11-10-2000, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I did somethin simlar for my king too, but i would suggest using velcro on the gps just in case you have a need to take it off, like goin somewhere to eat or in transit or , well im sure you get it. I use velcro on mine with not a single prob yet. Have fun ridin guys Im waitin for my front diff to come back from the repair shop,I hope ill get it back in a couple of weeks

Old 11-10-2000, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

there is a much easyer bracket to make Im just not sure if i could explain it, If you want to see it ill take a pic of it and ill send it to ya, i made it in about 10 min with a hack saw. It so simple and it really works good too, let me know

Old 11-11-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Oh no you didn't, Tree Farmer! I don't think you just said, "You'd rather have your GPS in your pocket". If that were the case, the only time you'd have to pull it out is when you stop to take a leak. I'd use the bicycle bracket first but they are not too reliable and not made for our handlebars. I'm not much of a computer guy but I can do a few things when I need to make somethin' work, like this piece, if I can ever figure out how to show it on this forum, I will... Seriously, if you're riding in an area you don't know, it helps if you have the GPS turned ON all the time so you can watch where you're going, how you got there, have a "track back" to the parking lot. That's because, unlike you, I don't have a nose for NORTH. I get lost all the time,in the camp site... That's how I meet so many people. :0)
Chuck,Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Sorry, I didn't read your second message 'til now. I mislead you with the information. The GPS doesn't screw to the bracket. Only the bracket is attached. GPS fits inside bracket so well, it never moves. Even when jumping logs.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 11-11-2000, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Rob, this unit is simple... I just don't know what I'm doing here. Can't get the dang thang to show up. Think you guys 'ill just have to wait 'til we show up somewhere...
Chuck,Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 11-12-2000, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Ecorman1, I can see where a handlebar bracket would be useful employing the "TracBac"/GoTo functions; you can view the "Compass Page" from the saddle while under way. I have difficulty reading the speed numbers, etc., from the handlebar mount with a whole lot of shakin' goin' on (forgive me, Jerry Lee!).

However, I can't undrstand why the Garmin mount won't fit your handlebars; must be a clearance problem. The rubber-lined hinged half-circle plastic bracket appears dimensioned for most standard bars; fits my Kawasaki fine (and it IS stronger than it looks).

Good luck on your alternative mount!

Tree Farmer

Old 11-12-2000, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Got me there, Tree Farmer. I should have chosen my words carefully. I don't know why the Garmin bracket won't fit my handlebars. The bracket I saw at Gander Mountain, didn't look very sturdy. That was the only place I looked for a bracket before making one for myself. I was kind of proud of the design but my wife just told me to get it off her screen. She likes the other screen savers better. So, I guess I'm off my high horse. Thanks, for putting up with my rhetoric.
Humble Pie Chuck, suzuki KQ 300, GPS & bracket...