Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Looking into a Vinson

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a Vinson

I am looking in to buying a Vinson and was wondering if anyone had any complaints about them?? Any feedback would be great!

Old 02-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

Excellent choice! I have an '05 auto and love it! Handles GREAT! Good power also. Getting ready to re-jet and pipe for a little more though (not that it really needs it). Only complaint? Not the ride of IRS-has straight axle w/ swingarm, but it is fully adjustable. Got mine as soft as it'll go-pretty good ride I must say. Definately better than any Honda (except Rincon). More "sport" than utility I think. 300 and some trouble free miles-don't get to ride a whole lot. I hear the manual has better takeoff (naturally) but my auto is still good. Brakes are a little spongy but I've never hit anything-engine breaks for me mostly, unless you're riding hard. Excellent in the mud also! Got mine for $5,700 (Limited Edition- Black/silver with the polished wheels) That was an extra $300 more, but worth it in my book. Great looking quad! Let me know what you get. Won't be dissappointed if you go this route!

Old 02-28-2006, 04:22 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

the vinson is a great reliable atv. ive got about 400 miles on mine with no problems. i have the manual and it has great power. i put 27" lightfoots on it and lost a little power but not much. i have to use low range when playing in the mud now. theres 2 complaints with mine and that is the crappy front bumper. i will be getting a warn soon. and not a lot of ground clearance with the single rear axle. and also no locking front diff. the arctic cat has all that with the same suzuki engine but not as much power. so its all based on your riding style i guess. im happy with mine for now but in the future im looking at a cat.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Range Rover

How do you adjust the springs for a better ride. Dont think i could take a full day of the bumps from this atv

Old 02-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

It comes w/ a tool. Looks kinda like a manual skeet thrower. Fits into the ring around the shock (you'll know). Have to take some weight off the front end to do it though (used my truck jack). Just set it in and turn it whichever you want to go--softer or firmer. I've rode mine all day around Crumpler/Bluefield W.V. w/ no problems. Not as "plush" as my dads Sportsman 500 but still no bad at all! The ONLY time I miss his IRS is in REAL rocky stuff.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

Hey 2c3, how do you like those lightfoot's? Who makes them, and where'd you get them? Looks like a good tire.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

I own two vinsons and love them. I have had trouble with the transmission on the 2002 vinson and just had to clean up the belt as it was shifting rather hard. I have over 2,700 miles on both machines and no real complaints with them. I just bought the KQ. I thought the ride on the Vinsons were first rate for a straight axle. Man, it was hard to get back on them once I rode the KQ though. They have served me well as I have ridden them on real rough, steep, rocky areas, in snow, mud and hardpack. I hunt off of them and hauled deer out of the mountains. A very trusted machine that will serve you well if you choose to buy one.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Alright, thanks alot! Sounds like it's dependable enough.lol That's probably gonna be the way I go. I'm waiting till spring though, because alot of places have their spring sales. Cernic's has like $1,000 off of all of their quads sometimes. Thank you all again!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:38 AM
2c3
Pro Rider

the lightfoots are awesome in the mud. the ride rough on hard pack though. i only run 2lbs of air in the rear so that helps the ride somewhat. the tires are made by chang shin and maxis also has their name on them. i got mine from a place called big boys in roanoke al. i give $475 for the tires and wheels.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Ginnis...

I also drove a 220 Bayou up until last August now its my kids bike....then I bought an 06 Vinson. Great bike.

If you are used to driving a manual already from the Bayou, you'll like the 5 speed Vinson. I bought the 5 speed because I'll be doing a bit of work with the bike, it turns the 26" mudlites better, and plus it was $600 cheaper than the auto..... and I don't really mind changing gears.....and I know I'll get feedback on this one .....but also more dependable.

With 26" mudlites, the Vinson has a nice ride and handles great. Its very quick and nimble in the bush and on tight trails and goes through an amazing amount of slop/mud....even without a locking front diff. It is also a great climber.

Just make sure you get a winch. Getting a stuck 400 lb Bayou out of the mud is one thing.....getting a stuck 600 lb Vinson out is a totally different story. Usually Suzuki has a free winch promo on....I got mine with a free winch and free front and rear bumper. If you ask about different tires at purchase time, you can usually trade the originals in and get the mudlites for a little less than 1/2 price.

All in all, from all I have read, the Vinson has one of the best combinations of dependabiliy and performance. Sure, some bikes ride more comfortably, some have more power....but what good is that if it doesnt work/run right a lot of the time or if you're constantly spending money on it, or if it costs you a fortune in gas everytime you ride. Did I mention the Vinson gets great gas mileage?

Like I said, I also have a 1990 220 Bayou. It has NEVER left me stranded and besides regular manitenance stuff, I have never had to spend money on fixing it. But then again, the Bayous had a reputation for being bulletproof. I just hope my Vinson is that way.

Good luck in your purchase.

Quick Reply: Looking into a Vinson