Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LTR-450....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTR-450....

Just bought a LTR-450! Haven't even had time to break it in yet. Any suggestions for break in? Setting up for sand dunes only. Any suggestions on parts and set-up?

Old 03-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR-450....

Find the link here on break-ins. your not supposed to baby it. Accelerate hard and decelerate hard, and then ride it nicely basically. Just find the page though. Do a search for it

Old 03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR-450....

flowdaddy, there are two very different schools of thought on how to break-in a new motor. The choice will be yours, but basically they are two:

1. Traditionally, do it by the book and baby it

2. More Modern, ride it like you plan to ride it all the time

I chose to break-in my KingQuad the second way and haven't had any problems yet. It makes sense to me because I read an article that says that when you are "breaking-in" an engine, you are seating the rings, pistons, etc. and they will be kept at the tolerance at which you break them in after the break-in period is finished. Many people look at this as: ride it hard and it will have more ***** later on. Baby it, and it won't reach it's full limitations. Either way though, avoid going on several short runs with lots of turning the engine on and off and vary your engine speeds every now and again, like was mentioned before.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR-450....

Here's something that I found that works for me. The instuctions are written as if you're rebuiliding the motor completely then move onto break-in process so you'll have tab down about 2/3 page. I rebuild my son's 2-stoke racing motors all the time so I have this page printed out in my tookbox. I don't go as far as they do with the sparkplug stuff they list but they go into pretty good detail because someone probably needed the extra info at some time. The fact that they list all this on their site I thought was pretty cool.

http://www.ctracing.com/cylinder.htm

Once the quad is broken in and you ride it the sand, remove the air box lid and spark arrester/pea shooter to open up that exaust... Make sure to hold on.... it's a totally new quad at that point.... If you use high octane gas, pick up the cherrybomb (aprox $42) also. It makes a difference when using anything but pump-gas I found. I only use VP U2 in mine now.

Some parks may not like you pulling the spark arrester but since you said you ride sand you should be ok.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR-450....

Don't pull your air lid off or spark arrestor out unless you have the cherry bomb. This is not just for race fuel. Don't assume that the EFI will compensate for this drastic of a modification. Don't take it from me though, ask someone that has dyno'd the quad with these mods and has a sample of the air fuel ratio.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTR-450....

Here is some good information on "engine break in".