Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New 2006 Eiger

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2006 Eiger

Just purchaced a new 2006 Eiger 5 speed for $4399 on March 11, 2006. My first choice was the Yamaha Big Bear but liked the features better on the Suzuki Eiger plus I got it for $800 less. The reason I wanted the 5 speed is because its a gear drive engine, no belt drive, im new to ATV's but other owners have trouble with their belt drive slipping and burning. The biggest reason for the purchace is to use it to plow snow, and take it deer hunting. I had it out in the rain and the mud and was impressed what it could do, I took it over a deep mud hole with a large piece of ice floating on it, I rode over top of the ice and sunk down to the bottom had all 4 wheels spinning, shifted to low range and it pulled outta there, and it has no trouble going over downed trees in the middle of the trail. I have a few questions, I want to get a plow, everybody I talk to tell me im better off getting the plow with the hand lift, instead of the wrench lift, Suzuki wants $529 just for the wrench w/o the plow, but for $429 I could get the whole hand lift plow set up, and Im thinking the Eiger will work well plowing the snow with the gear shift in low range. One thing im going to do to my new Eiger is disconnect every electrical connection I can find and apply die electric grease to keep the connectors dry and stop any corroision. Thank You , great site, will be back.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default New 2006 Eiger

Glad ya like your new quad, and for a great price. I payed 5200 for my '05. I would go ahead and get the plow with the winch. That way when your not plowing you have the winch. It's a great machine, but even the best quads will get stuck eventualy, and it's no fun diggin and pullin it out without a winch. I had to do it a few times till I got a Warn for mine, it seems like a lot of money, and it is, but it'll pay for itself after gettin buried a few times.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default New 2006 Eiger

Good buy on the Eiger...I use the hand lift for the plow...it's faster then the winch and doesn't require much effort....you may also want to get a fuel filter for it...Suzuki is known for stuff in the gas tanks

Old 03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New 2006 Eiger

Get a winch Moto....

Especially if you ride alone.

Once you get a 600 lb atv badly stuck in the mud , your stuck !! Have a nice walk home for help !!

Even if you get the handlift plow, get a winch.

I got my suzuki in Ontario and they always seem to have a free winch program going on, so mine didnt cost anything., but it has saved me many times. And I agree about getting a manual 5 speed....more fun, better for work (and play), more durable.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default New 2006 Eiger

Great Buy, I pay $5200 for '05 also. I would get a winch it is nice having it if you get stuck. I would also get skid plates, the plastic ones that come with it don't work well and then a fuel filter. I have a milemarker PE2500 on mine and have had it submerged under water and mud and still pulls strong. I found the best place to get winches is the winchdepot.com they have free shipping and are competitive on htere prices.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New 2006 Eiger

I think the other guys have the right idea about a winch for general use, I asked the wife for one for Christmas and she found one at Sam's club for $80.00, she was so happy with her find that I didn't have the heart to tell her SUPERWINCH was a name brand not just a super winch (2 words).lol. I hope I will get atleast 1 or 2 pulls on it before it gets screwed up. Fortunately most of my riding is fast trail riding not mud bogging. You may want to consider getting the manual lift for the plow though unless you are plowing a very smooth concrete or asphault drive. I found that when I owned rental property with a gravel drive that if I kept steady lifting pressure on the lift arm I could plow without loosing all the gravel into the yard. If you are looking for a good plow I've had good luck with my cyclecountry plow, and definitely do some price checking online for a winch, venom winches are priced great but I don't know about the quality. I do most plowing up to about 6" of snow in first gear high range but if it's slushy heavy snow I use low range.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default New 2006 Eiger

Yea, that's an excellent price for your Eiger. Great machine! I'm reletively new to ATVing but I bought my 05 Eiger auto after reading alot of good things etc. Almost bought a Foreman but dispite its excellent reputation, I opted for the Eiger since its engineering is alot more simplistic. In short its an all round well made functional product. I bought a 50" "American Manufacturing" manual lift plow off the internet from Shadetree Power Sports. Approx. $450.00. Very well built system and easily operated.

As for the Eiger's plowing capabilities,,,, awsome! I plowed a 30' x 100' drive way with 14 inches of very heavy wet snow in about 20 mins. The Eiger plowed thru it like butter. In fact, I plowed a run for my dogs in my back yard in 2 wheel drive and did not get stuck. Once I, slipped her in 4WD, I could not get it bogged down. I even took it over a atheletic field and it had no problems. Low range?,,,,,,,, Like a tank. Well, that's my 2 cents. Enjoy!

Old 03-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default New 2006 Eiger

Thanks for the information, its nice to get information buy the experiences you guys had with your Suzuki Eiger, The more I ride it the more fun it is. Buying it I had a choice of the color I wanted, I picked the black. Im going to take your advice and install an inline fuel filter and get a winch. Does the brand of the winch make a big difference? The Warn Winch is expensive, the 2500lb is $500, I could get a no name brand winch at Gander Mountain for $139, You get what you pay for? Only one thing is bugging me about my 06 Suzuki Eiger, with 10 miles on it the rear axle makes a whinning noise, is this normal? being new not broken in yet? And I noticed, it is cold blooded, starting it with full choke and It needs some time for warm up. I was reading some other posts where it does run very lean, the weather has been very cold here, maybe it will get better after it breaks in and warmer weather. Thanks Again.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default New 2006 Eiger

I've kept mine in an unheated garage all winter and it always started very easily. I always used the choke when the temperature was below 32 and I could deactivate the choke within 5 to 7 mins. I'd say the engine warmed up thoroughly every time within 20 mins. Although I don't have one, I have researched winches. I've read positive comments by riders on ATVWV.com that some of the cheaper brands performed quite well. Based on what they said, I'd opt for the latter. Have a good evening.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New 2006 Eiger

If you do a search there are some other posts about champion winches, though incredibly cheap they seem to be holding up quite well. I have one on my eiger, I used it yesterday for the first time and it worked perfectly despite being under icy water and covered in weeds and mud. That still doesn't mean it will last as long or perform as well as the big dollar winches but it sure did a good job of getting me unstuck at a cost of 1/6th of what you'd pay for a Warn winch.

Quick Reply: New 2006 Eiger